20 Questions w/ Toxsick Tripp of Blue Felix.
Toxsick Tripp of Blue Felix
Since we re-started our interview feature as promised we wanted to bring you some new blood. We have delivered as promised 3 weeks in a row. This week we’ll take a trip, literally with lead singer Toxsick Tripp of Blue Felix. This guy claims to have dropped acid over 1,000 times. The band hails from Minneapolis but sadly Toxsick doesn’t know who Slave Raider is? What a damn shame.
Either way, we think Blue Felix is entertaining for sure. Please read this weeks 20 Questions with Blue Felix frontman Toxsick Tripp
1. What are you up to, time to plug your shit, CDs, tours, projects, etc..
FINISHED UP A SUMMER/FALL COAST TO COAST TOUR A CPL MONTHS AGO PROMOTING OUR LATEST ALBUM ‘SAMPLE OF A SOLUTION" CO PRODUCED BY SID WILSON. NOW GETTIN READY TO HIT THE ROAD IN APRIL WITH A GOAL OF AT LEAST 200 SHOWS BY JANUARY 2012.
BLUEFELIX.COM FOR TOUR DATES. MOST LIKELY WE WILL BE IN A CITY NEAR U THIS SUMMER. ALSO WORKING ON SOME MUSIC VIDEOS, ONE OF WHICH INCLUDES SID PERFORMING WITH US CALLED, ‘MIDDLE FINGER UP’.
2. Who came up with the whole name, image, concept, costumes & make up for Blue Felix?
BLUE FELIX IS NAMED AFTER A TYPE OF LSD. IT WAS MY PERSONAL FAVORITE TYPE OF ACID BACK IN THE DAY. WE INDULGED PRETTY HEAVILY IN PSYCHEDELICS ALL THROUGH THE 90′S, SO ITS NATURALLY HAD A BIG IMPACT ON OUR VIEWS, VISIONS, AND OVERALL CONCEPT OF THE BAND AND OUR MUSIC. SO, WHAT BETTER WAY TO GIVE THANX TO SOMETHING THAT HAS INFLUENCED US ON SO MANY LEVELS THAN TO NAME THE BAND AFTER IT. AS FAR AS COSTUMES, THE STAGE GEAR DOESNT DIFFER FROM OUR DAILY ATTIRE THAT MUCH. IM ALWAYS WEARING SOMETHIN WITH THAT "FELIX FLAVOR" RIPPED UP FATIGUES, OBNOXIOUS HAIR, ETC. NEAR FULL BODY TATTOOS ARE HARDLY COSTUMES… ONLY THING DIFFERENT FOR STAGE WE DO IS PUT ON FACEPAINT. THE FANS DIG THE PAINT TOO, THEY GET ALL PAINTED UP FOR SHOWS AND IT REALLY GIVES THEM THAT FEELING OF UNITY. THE FANS CALL THEMSELVES DOGS OF DOOM, AND THEY ARE JUST THAT.
Toxsick Tripp and a fan. The fan is on the left.
3. It seems like Blue Felix is a cross of metal, punk & rap. Who are the influences for the band?
EACH ONE OF US HAS A VERY DIVERSE TASTE IN MUSIC, FROM METAL, ROCK, RAP, PUNK, REGGE, NU METAL, THERE WOULD BE JUST WAY TOO MANY ACTUAL BANDS TO TRY AND LIST. WE JUST GET TOGETHER AND PLAY WHAT WE ARE FEELIN AND EVERYTHING JUST SEEMS TO FIND ITS PLACE. OVERALL WE KEEP IT HIGH ENERGY AND KEEP THE FANS GUESSIN.
4. Your bio says your from Minneapolis Minnesota. Besides Prince, Soul Asylum & Slave Raider – what else is in the twin cities that our readers should know about?
"NUISANCE"……"DYING EUFORIA"……… 2 HEAVY HITTIN BANDS FROM AROUND HERE
5. Rate a singer/rapper 1-10. A 1 being someone who sucks and a 10 being someone who rips!
Corey Taylor of Slipknot = 9
Kid Rock = 4.5
Paul Stanley of KISS = 3
Shifty Shelshoc of Crazy Town = 2
Billy Joe from Green Day = 3
Violent J of Insane Clown Posse = 5
Axl Rose from Guns n’ Roses = 6.5
Snoop Dogg = 9.5
Chainsaw Caine of Slave Raider = 3
Stephen Pearcy of Ratt = 2
Toxsick Tripp "Metal Sucks = Bottom Feeders!"
6. What rock/rap star deserves a smack in the mouth and why?
BLACK EYED PEAS…. PERFECT EXAMPLE OF OVER PAID, TALENTLESS, AMERICAN POP GARBAGE
7. Speaking of jagoffs, Axl Rosenberg from Metal Sucks doesn’t seem to like you or your band. He says your clothes are ridiculous and that your vocal chords should be surgically removed after you break the band up. Anything to say about these guys?
HES JUST ONE OF A MILLION INTERNET TOUGH GUYS THAT ARE SO CLOSED MINDED THEY HATE ON EVERYTHING THEY KNOW THEY COULD NEVER BE. THERE ARE A MILLION LIKE HIM OUT THERE. I MEAN, LOOK AT THE NAME OF THE SITE, IT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. BOTTOM FEEDERS.
8. Who was the coolest band you ever shared the stage with on tour and who were the biggest assholes to deal with?
MARYLIN MANSON WAS MY PERSONAL FAVORITE, BUT TOURING WITH SID’S NEW GROUP WAS BY FAR THE BEST TIME ON THE ROAD IVE HAD. THE BIGGEST PRICKS WEVE EVER DEALT WITH WAS A BAND THATS NOT EVEN WORTHY OF THE PLUG…. BUT THEIR NAME RHYMES WITH "CRICKETS"… IF U CANT FIGURE IT OUT WHO THEY ARE YOUR PROLLY BETTER OFF.
Blue Felix – Are they Minnesota’s punk rock Slipknot?
9. Tell us about your relationship with Sid Wilson (DJ Starscream #0) from Slipknot. How did you get involved with him & how did he come to co-Produce your “Sample of A Solution” CD?
SID IS A VERY CLOSE FRIEND OF MINE, WE HAVE MANY MANY THINGS IN COMMON. I MET SID ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO AND IT WAS AN INSTANT BOND. MET HIM THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE DURING A DES MOINES SHOW. WE HAVE BEEN KICKIN IT EVER SINCE. HE CO PRODUCED OUR ALBUM BECAUSE HE BELIEVES IN WHAT WE ARE DOING, AND WANTED TO BE A PART OF THE MOVEMENT. HE SEES THE TRUE US, THE PASSION, THE DRIVE, THE TALENT ETC. I ALWAYS SAY "REAL KNOW REAL".
10. Give us a quick 1 sentence review of these videos off youtube.
“Time Bomb” by Rancid = A CLASSIC…. GOOD VIDEO
“Up All Night” by Slaughter = NOT MY FLAVOR… BUT GOOD NONE THE LESS
“Tomorrow” by The Mistakes = FIRST TIME IVE SEEN THIS ONE…NOT BAD…FUN VIDEO
“Lost Boys” by The 69 Eyes = SONGS A BIT CREEPY IN A MOLESTER KIND OF WAY, BUT THE VIDEO CONCEPT IS PRETTY COOL
“Chicken Huntin" by Insane Clown Posse = WHAT’S NOT TO LIKE? LOVE THE OLD SCHOOL STUFF.. THE NEWER SHIT IS GARBAGE THO.
11. Is it safe to say, that your stage names, costumes, make up and music are just a modern day Poison? After all, they wore shocking clothes and had whacky names like Rikki Rockett or CC DeVille. Just like your band today.
ITS ALL IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER. ITS SAFE TO SAY WHATEVER YOU’D LIKE. BUT IF YOU SAY WE LOOK AND SOUND LIKE POISON, WOULD IT BE SAFE TO SAY YOU’RE JUST ANOTHER HELEN KELLER?
12. Name the 3 high points for Blue Felix to date and the 3 low points?
HIGH= NATIONAL TOUR/COMPLETION OF SAMPLE OF A SOLUTION/ WORKING WITH SID.
LOW= BEING BROKE SACRIFICING EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME FOR THIS DREAM/ MEMBER CHANGES DUE TO PERMANENT ILLNESS/ AND JUST THE EVERY DAY STRUGGLE TO OVERCOME THE NEGATIVITY AND SUCCEED.
The high point for Blue Felix just might be Toxsick Tripp’s hair!
13. A reviewer wrote about Blue Felix when you opened for Marilyn Manson: “Deranged would be an understatement. Plain and simple, these guys are gone.” The writer also said: “It’s still a freak show on stage.”
Upon watching your video "Middle Finger Up" you deliver a high impact punch. Is it possible to do this 100-150 nites a year around the US or the globe?
WE WILL PLAY EVERY NIGHT IF WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY. ANYWHERE ANYTIME.
14. Words for R-I-P. Got any thoughts on these fallen musical brothers ?
Easy E from N.W.A. = A TRUE O.G. WAS AN ANIMAL IN HIS TIME.
Dimebag from Pantera = A FUCKING LEGEND IN HIS OWN TIME. ETERNAL RESPECT
Sid Vicious from Sex Pistols = <G.G. ALLIN
Robin Crosby from Ratt = UMMMM…?
Paul Gray from Slipknot = TRAGIC. STILL DONT REALLY BELIEVE HES GONE. MUCH RESPECT
15. With respect to our above fallen brothers. Speaking of the dead, what’s your take on the Undead. As in Hollywood Undead. They wear masks, rap, rock and like Slipknot have 168 members on stage?
COULDN’T NAME A SONG OR A LYRIC BY THEM? BUT THEY ARE OUT THERE WORKING AND I RESPECT THAT.
GWAR with training wheels.
16. Tell our readers about your relationship with drugs and alcohol. In your bio it talks about the term “Blue Felix” being taken from the effects of taking LSD. Tell us something interesting about them (drugs & alcohol) and how they have helped/hurt the band?
ALL OF US HAVE OUR OWN DEMONS, BUT MYSELF PERSONALLY, USE MY EXPERIENCES AS A TOOL IN MY WRITING, HAVING "TRIPPED" NEARLY A THOUSAND INDIVIDUAL TIMES. THOSE DAYS ARE BEHIND ME NOW, I RE-LIVE THOSE TIMES THROUGH MUSIC AND WORDS. ALTHOUGH I WOULDN’T CHANGE A THING, AND I HAVE NO REGRETS, I HAVE TO ADMIT I LIVE EACH MOMENT OF MY LIFE ON A "TIGHTROPE OF SANITY" IF THAT MAKES ANY SENSE TO YOU. I DO FEEL IT HAS AFFECTED ME POSITIVELY AND NEGATIVELY. I HAVE OCCASIONAL NIGHTMARES THAT I’M RETURNED TO WHERE I WAS BEFORE I WAS BORN, A FIGMENT OF MY OWN BEING, MORE OF AN ENERGY LIKE STATE, FAR BEYOND THIS PHYSICAL LIFE. ITS A VERY FRIGHTENING AND LONELY PLACE. LIKE BEING TRAPPED IN A RUT OUTSIDE OF YOUR MIND. A PLACE WHERE NO ONE CAN HELP YOU, NOT EVEN YOURSELF. STRANGE THING IS THESE NIGHTMARES OCCUR WHEN I’M AWAKE. SO THAT MAKES IT A BIT DANGEROUS TO DO SOME NORMAL EVERYDAY ACTIVITIES.
17. You are on your death bed, you must perform one of the following or you take a dirt nap.
A. Ditch this project for a year and play personal assistant to Justin Bieber for $ 150.00 a week and bunk on the crew bus.
B. Keep the band, and let the remaining members of Slave Raider Lite (Your Band) pull a bukkake train on your face (crew included).
C. Join a 80s tribute , wear a wig, spandex and sing the hits of Warrant, Poison & White Lion for the rest of your career.
Which do you pick and why?
I CHOOSE "C"
CHECK OUT THE BAND…"MONSTERS OF MOCK" (THE SINGER IS MY BIRTH FATHER, DEAD SERIOUS} LIKE FATHER LIKE SON! JUSTIN BIEBER IS THE POSTER CHILD FOR INTERNET KILLING THE "ROCKSTAR AS WE KNOW IT", AND FOR THE LAST TIME… WHO THE FUCK IS SLAVERAIDER?
* Dear Young Blood. We must ask What Do You Know About Rock N’ Roll? Before we start Backstabbin’ and we leave you to Make Some Noise you best get your google on. Slave Raider are the Twin Cities OG of shock rock, hard rock & costume rock. Chainsaw Caine and the gang are straight from your own hood!
18. Do you have any intention of putting one of those huge wooden plates in your lower lip to be more in touch with your tribal badass self? (we noticed the ears, wondering if the lip is next)
I WOULD IF IT DIDNT AFFECT MY SPEECH. F.Y.I. I CAN PUT SHOT GLASSES THROUGH MY EARS…. YA, YA, I KNOW WHAT YOUR THINKING… IVE BEEN PROPOSITIONED YES.. BUT IVE NEVER HAD ANY DICKS PUT IN MY EARS! IM NOT INTO DUDES, AND IVE BEEN WITH ENOUGH FEMALES TO MAKE GENE SIMMONS PROUD… TRUST ME….
Is Toxsick Tripp on his way to THIS?
The singer’s diet consists of Arby’s & Cap N’ Crunch "All Berries". How punk is that?
19. How much money do you have in your pockets right now (including change)?
20. The last of Toxsick Tripp…
The last time you performed without make up = LAST TIME I PERFORMED WITHOUT MAKE UP WAS PROBABLY SUMMER OF 2004
The last time you broke paper wiping your ass =I KEEP BABY WIPES ON ME… BUT FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK. I USED TO SAY TO PEOPLE,"YOU KNOW WHEN U WIPE YOUR ASS AND THE PAPER RIPS, AND YOU GET SHIT ON YOUR HAND… THAT URGE U GET TO LOOK, THEN ODDLY U INSIST ON SMELLING.. THEN EVEN TASTE IT…. THAT’S BLUE FELIX….."
The last fast food you ate was = ARBYS
The last you got a tat or piercing = 2 DAYS AGO… I TATTOOED MY OWN THIGH
The last famous person you shook hands with = SID WILSON
The last type of cereal you ate = ALL BERRIES
The last time you were in hand cuffs = JAN 6TH 2011. OUTSIDE OF THE KEY CLUB ON SUNSET STRIP. IN A RIOT AFTER A TSOL AND YOUTH BRIGADE CONCERT. BODY SLAMMED, CUFFED AND PEPPER SPRAYED BY LAPD
The last concert you watched from the crowd = NUISANCE
The last illegal substance you used and when = IVE BEEN SMOKING SEEDLESS HERB THROUGH MY ‘BLUE FELIX’ VAPORIZER FROM SILVER SURFER VAPORIZERS ALL DAY TODAY, EVEN AS I TYPE THIS SENTENCE, ALSO IVE HAD 6 JAG BOMBS IN THE PAST HOUR N A HALF AND JUST SWALLOWED VICODIN NUMBER 6 FOR TODAY
The last time you cried =LAST WEEK…. I WATCHED "THE NOTEBOOK"
Wow, cool shit from Toxsick Tripp. Who knew a bad ass who has dropped Acid 1,000 times would live so far on the edge to rock ALL BERRIES too! Dude, step off, your really pushin’ it.