SLUDGEAHOLIC OF THE MONTH
This month’s Sludgeaholic Of The Month comes to us from the land of Lucky Charms….Ireland! He’s Sludgeaholic Of The Month material because he actually came over from Ireland to go to a bunch of dates on our MSX Tour! Now that’s dedication!
Congratulations to Ronan for being our July 2004 Sludgeaholic Of The Month!
1. Where are you from and how old are you?
I’m 23 years old, and I’m from a place on the north west coast of Ireland called Sligo, its pretty cool here – got a great local music scene, steeped in tradition and heritage, nice countryside, good night life, odd good house party here and there, and plenty of cool people in to rock n roll!!
2. Ambitions: Got a lot on my plate right now. I’m gonna be flat out getting my Bachelors in college part time over two years along with working full time. So I guess my long term goal would be to come out with a good result in that. Short term I’d like to start getting fit once again (nothing but partying these weekends), get back to the standard of guitar playing I used to be at before work and partying cut in on it, get to another Metal Sludge event!, I’m going to the States for a two week trip round LA, San Francisco and Phoenix starting in four days of writing this so I’d also like to come back home and not be up to my eyes in debt!
Ronan, DJ Will, Jim Bob, Ette, and a guy who should be wearing a Sludge shirt.
3. Turn-ons: Confidence, a woman who knows what she’s about, proper hygiene is a given and a love of having fun and rock n roll never goes astray.
4. Turn-offs: Mind games, always looking at the negative side of something first. Being a guitar
player, pics of women that obviously don’t play guitar and look totally uncomfortable holding it trying to come across as sexy usually causes a cringe for me too.
5. How long have you been coming to Metal Sludge?
I first got to Sludge through a link from Sebastian Bach’s site about three or so years ago when he was still singing the praises of your site, registered on the boards about a year and a half ago. Great place to come for a good laugh!
6. Favorite bands: Thin Lizzy, Rolling Stones, Guns n Roses, Skid Row, Motley Crue, Ozzy, LA Guns, Dio, Iron Maiden loads of the eighties metal stuff and Classic rock like Whitesnake (every era), Deep Purple, Sabbath etc. I like a lot of the newer metal bands too like Children Of Bodom, Primal Fear, In flames, Dimmu Borgir, also Black Label Society big fan of Zakk Wylde. Rock n Roll takes up a good 90%+ of my listening, I’m pretty open minded and listen to some
mellow stuff too here and there, one of my flatmates threw on an Alison Krauss & Union Station cd lately that I really liked think it was called "New Favorite", some traditional Irish music is always good for a laugh here and there also Massive Attack, Jeff Buckley, load of others, over the last year or so Willie Nelson and Stevie Ray Vaughan have been getting a lot of play in my flat too.
7. Least favorite bands: Any of the boybandGirlband crap that does the 15 minutes in the spotlight, last rock band’s cd that I felt like throwing away would be a Bulletboys cd I got in a bulk lot of second hand cd’s on ebay a few months back. Really don’t care for any of the EMO wannabe hardcore bands that seem to be coming up either.
8. What do you do for a living?
I’m the Network Administrator for an Engineering company here, its great experience, currently doing up a new intranet and setting up a new system for sending cnc programs from computer to cnc controller, keeps me adaptable and on my toes. Asides from keeping the computer show running I say things like (the classic) "Have you tried rebooting your pc yet?", "The reason you got the virus is because you did open the attachment", and "Have you checked that the computer is plugged in" to people from time to time.
9. Any formal education: Three years in the local IT here getting my Diploma in Computer Science, returning this year part time to finish out my Degree.
10. What’s the big deal with The Darkness?
I can see where some people might think they’re taking the piss, but I like the album, haven’t really listened to it in a good while because of the initial over play it got here, but they’re a bunch of guys that love classic 70’s and 80’s rock, have a good sense of humor and are bringing guitar solos and rock n roll right back up the charts and into peoples faces, that’s alright by me!. I saw them live supporting Metallica last summer in Dublin and they rocked the place….after reading Ginger’s comments about them in the tour diary I was really looking forward to seeing how much of a tight act they have become after the American tour.. they were headlining a festival here a week ago after David Bowie pulled out of the headline slot, unfortunately when they came on I was in an unconscious state in my tent where at least 66 l of the finest home brew was being stored along with about 8 crates of beer( I told them not to put it there!). I do remember hearing them do a version of Radiohead’s "Street Spirit" when I came round at one point in the campsite!..I’m pretty sure it sounded good too!!
11. If you could bang any Sludgette Of The Month, who would it be?
Honestly there’s far too many good looking Sludget….don’t ya just hate these kind of answers!
12. People think I’m……a good friend, the computer guy, a drunken Irish fuck, a headbanger, someone who knows where they’re going in life, someone who really needs to cop on to themselves .. depends on where and when ya meet me!.
13. When was the last time you got laid?
What happens on the summer festival scene stays on the summer festival scene!
14. Yes or no, have you:
Been to a dentist within the last year = Yep!, got a wisdom tooth out about two months ago!
Met Samantha Fox = Nope, great pg.3 pics from back in the day though!
Wanted to move to the U.S. = Happy where I am right now, Ireland works for me with college, work, good standard of living, great countryside etc. I’m not in any rush anywhere, I have lived in NY for 3 months before – loved it, got to experience other states last summer too following the MSX tour around a bit, definitely a great country I could enjoy living in, met some really cool people out there, maybe some day if the opportunity were to arise.
Seen the sun in the last 30 days = lmao, Yep got my first two or three blasts of farmers tan in this year already!, the Summer has been good here this year so far, when the winter is dark and then the sun suddenly pops out of nowhere our skin types usually get it for the first few times….I have to go into desert country in Arizona pretty soon so that’s gonna be an experience!. "The Sun" newspaper is usually knocking around the canteen here so I catch that most days! hasnt really been the same since Samantha Fox from what I hear!
Seen The Wildhearts live = Nope, they were playing here a couple of months ago, but I couldn’t make it, my friends that went reckon they were wicked live though and they said Ginger is a bang on guy. I’ve been listening to them for years, great to see them really get a go at America, that’s one band that have some really catchy rock songs and have stuck it out through a lot of shit.
15. How do you feel about being our July 2004 Sludgeaholic Of The Month?
Rockin man, over the moon!.. the site gives me a good laugh every day, throws great parties
and I’ve met some really cool folks through it! Thanks to Sludge for the honors and Ette for the nomination!.
16. Personal Motto: Can’t honestly say I have any one personal motto that I keep in my head. I just like to live life to the fullest, have no regrets and take everyday as it comes….guess there’s about three mottos in that!
Congratulations to Ronan for being our July 2004 Sludgeaholic Of The Month!