SLUDGEAHOLIC OF THE MONTH
Here’s a Sludgeaholic Of The Month who is quite diverse in his musical tastes. He listens to everything from Butch Walker to ICP to The Wildhearts and Faster Pussycat. A little variety never hurt anybody so we’re saluting J.J. Brooks as our June 2004 Sludgeaholic Of The Month!
1. Where are you from and how old are you?
I was born & raised just outside St. Louis, moved to Kansas City when I was 20, and have lived here for 5 years now (thus placing me at 25 years old).
2. Ambitions: At the moment, to simply find a better job. Overall, to have the option to be able to get back on the road and see more shows more often & catch up with some fellow Sludgers. I was good with that for a few summers, but bills had to be paid and work schedules have a way of interfering with anything fun.
3. Turn-ons: A good personality will get me every time, regardless of whether the beer goggles are on or not. If you can carry your end of a decent conversation, you’ll have me almost every time. I’m a sucker for the bad girls.. if you don’t like to get into trouble, don’t waste my time. Appearance-wise.. plain and simple, I’m a breast man.
4. Turn-offs: Fakeness, cocky attitudes, anyone who leads you on only to use you or doesn’t follow up on something that was promised, anyone who can dish it out but can’t take it.
5. How long have you been coming to Metal Sludge?
Sometime in early/mid 1999.. after consulting the history of 20 Questions it would appear to be somewhere around late April 1999, because I was still very new to the site when Jizzy Pearl’s 20 Questions went up.
6. Favorite bands: Beautiful Creatures (related to my first tattoo), Brides Of Destruction, White Zombie, Jizzy Pearl, The Urge, Faster Pussycat, Motochrist, L.A. Guns, Love/Hate, Murderdolls, Newlydeads, Insane Clown Posse, Twiztid, Kottonmouth Kings, HIM, Swill, Peppermint Creeps, Butch Walker, Lords Of Acid, The Wildhearts, Tuff, Turbonegro.. that’ll do for now.
7. Least favorite bands: Rush (decent music but Geddy Lee’s voice grates my last nerve), Dave
Matthews Band, Limp Bizkit, Dashboard Confessional.. I know there’s more, but I’ve gone out of my way to block them out of my mind.
8. What do you do for a living?
I still do part-time work at the outdoor amphitheater here in Kansas City (Verizon Wireless Amphitheater.. forever known as Sandstone to the locals) – the same venue that Warrant shot their live footage for the "Heaven" video. My full-time job is doing data entry at a mail-order pharmacy, where I’ve learned the seemingly-impossible art of reading *most* doctors’ handwriting. Unfortunately, they keep entirely too many cameras pointed towards where the good drugs are kept, and the company firewall won’t let me browse the Gossip Board at work (which is probably a good thing).
9. Any formal education: Manged to graduate high school despite sleeping through a good portion of it. Tried community college but gave up and dropped out – twice. Went to a trade school and obtained a certificate in Business & Clerical, which more or less ties into my job now.
10. 5 CDs I can’t live without: I’ll go with 5 of the CDs I’ve been playing lately more than anything else – Beautiful Creatures s/t, ‘Razorblade Romance’ by HIM, "La Sexorcisto.." by White Zombie, the L.A. Guns s/t CD, and the 5-track demo ‘Stool Samples’ by a local Kansas City band named Swill (think NIN-meets-White Zombie-meets-Ministry).
11. If you could bang any Sludgette Of The Month, who would it be?
Considering my first answer doesn’t count because that person hasn’t actually been a Sludgette Of The Month yet, I’ll have to go with the 3-way dream involving both RikkiSixx and Rizzy.
12. You have a website called VividWhiteBoy.com that shows you with a variety of celebrites, wrestlers, rock stars, ect. Our question is, how come you’re not sporting our Sludge swag in any of those photos? Where’s the love?
Ah, but you’re not *completely* correct. I have captures with both Vern Troyer (Mini-Me from the Austin Powers movies) and Steve Wilkos (Jerry Springer’s big security guy). I attempted to get a capture with Anthony Focx when I was in L.A. a few months ago, but he politely declined. He still likes the site, just wasn’t down for the capture.
13. When was the last time you got laid?
Last Wednesday.. unfortunately ever since then, based off of what happened to be on tv at the time, I can’t hear the theme from ‘Friends’ in quite the same way anymore.
14. If you could have dinner with any 5 people, live or dead, who would you
Jim Morrison, Alice Cooper, Wayne Gretzky, Jesse James.. and my grandfather – I never had a chance to really say goodbye.
15. How do you feel about being our June 2004 Sludgeaholic Of The Month?
Considering this is the first time a SOTM has been selected well into the next month, it kind of gives it that something extra. How many other SOTMers can say that they weren’t a part of the traditional routine? Besides.. today sucked ass at work, so work can continue to suck ass at work but it won’t matter – being a SOTM will take care of that.
16. Personal Motto: I was never good at coming up with anything innovative, so I’ll go with the
few that I live by which were spoken by others. "Live for the moment", "Exist to inspire", and "Believe to achieve".
I’m flattered and humbled to be the June 2004 SOTM, as it seems like it’s been forever (though it’s only really been a little over two years) since I started posting on the message boards and spending more time on the site than what might be considered healthy. I feel like I’ve cemented my place or something now (after all the slamming I’ve taken for being one of the 5 people who either like the Insane Clown Posse, think that the L.A. Guns CD with Chris Van Dahl wasn’t as bad as everyone makes it out to be, or that I’ve stuck by Beautiful Creatures during all the time that they’ve basically been down & out of the picture). Now I have a legitimate reason (besides
random ranting about stupid things) to make some updates to my website – VividWhiteBoy.com
Thank you to Metal Sludge and to Sludgers worldwide, and goodnight!
Congratulations to J.J. for being our June 2004 Sludgeaholic Of The Month!