SLUDGEAHOLIC OF THE MONTH
This month’s Sludgeaholic Of The Month sent us a long ass email about why he should be Sludgaeaholic Of The Month, and he included the following: I’m a musician in my spare time outside of my real job (mostly in the pop/rock vein) & often gig around town playing drums for other people or on my own (and often wearing my MS gear – I’ve attached a photo of me sporting the barbed wire shirt at a gig so you know I’m not bullshitting you) I just recently played drums on the new EP by ShockSpiritLove (an alternative Cleveland band which I helped put together) which was produced by Warrant axe-man/good-guy of Sludge Billy Morris. We recorded it at
his new studio in Cleveland, The Lava Room (plug plug). He’s got a pretty cool setup there so far
(part of it is still under construction) And hell, all of my drum tracks were even recorded
using one of Mike "the Sack" Fasano’s old Warrant kits!!! How many Sludgeaholics have had a chance to sit down and rock out on one of the Sack’s Pork Pie kits? Can’t be that many!(That should get me somepoints there!)
Mike’s a super cool guy and I had the chance to talk to him briefly on the day of that recording
session, by phone from LA. He was nice enough to give Billy that kit to use at the studio. Props to the Sack and TotalPoser!
Not many Sludgeaholics have sat behind Mike Fasano’s drum kit, and we don’t know how many would want to, but anyway, that was good enough for us to make Jeff our Sludgeaholic Of The Month!
1. Where are you from and how old are you?
I’m 29, from Cleveland, Ohio. Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of…ummm…whatever. You know, I’ve only been there once, when it first opened. Haven’t been back there since. Rock should be symbolized as a living, breathing, exciting thing – not just some dude’s jacket behind glass, you know? But it’s not a bad city. There’s a lot of rockers here.
2. Ambitions: To someday co-host a Metal Sludge party with Britney Spears, jam with Metal Shop, and announce my candidacy for Governor of Ohio, what else? To get out from behind the drumkit and sing with a metal band for fun. Also, to get to meet all my metal heroes before they
get too old and die (too numerous to mention).
3. Turn-ons: Redheads & blondes, models, dancers, belly rings (on a chick that’s hot), low-rider jeans (on a chick that’s hot). Really, any woman with a hot bod who’s down with wearing Sludge apparel and likes good rock and roll.
4. Turn-offs: Ridiculously high concert ticket prices, bands/artists who treat their fans like shit. Shame on them!
5. How long have you been coming to Metal Sludge?
3 years non-stop! 20 Questions is what initially drew me to this site. My favorite feature. Also, I’ve really enjoyed the tour diaries.Especially Muscat’s recent MSX Tour chronicles, and the tales of CC Banana. Go CC! (I can’t wait to see his home video)
6. Favorite bands: Iron Maiden, KISS, DIO, Ramones, Beatles, Alice Cooper. Any 80’s metal/glam metal/hard-rock – good or bad, I love it all.
7. Least favorite bands: Crappy nu-metal bands or whiny, fake punk bands (you know who you are!!) Really, any band that doesn’t give you your money’s worth. When I go to see a show, I
want to see a ‘show!’ Groups that just stand there and act like they’re doing you a big favor don’t impress me.
8. What do you do for a living?
I work in sales, in the manufacturing industry. In my spare time, I do some live gigs as a drummer. But if I could make a living touring as a rock star fulltime, you’re damn right I’d do it. I guess any big gig would be cool, except for maybe Spinal Tap. Those drummers have a high mortality rate – Kaboom!
9. You’ve worked with Billy Morris. Have you ever heard him bitch about Warrant and Jani?
No, I never did actually. He’s a cool dude, very professional. I know, that’s a boring answer! Billy’s got a nice, new recording studio that just recently opened and I did some recording there. I got to rock out on one of the Sack’s Warrant kits, too! Was great. Fasano’s another cool dude, and a great drummer. But no, didn’t hear much about the other Warrant guys. However, I can’t say for sure… but I may have spotted a bar of Jerry Dixon’s soap in the studio restroom.
10. If you could have dinner with any 5 people, live or dead, who would you pick?
I picture a deranged dinner party with all of the following : Ozzy Osbourne, Britney Spears, Donna Anderson, Jani Bon Neil, Bastard Boy Floyd. That would be a Kodak moment!
11. Since you’re a drummer, who are your drummer influences?
Phil Rudd, Marky Ramone (I’ve attached a picture of me with him, along with Jerry Only of the Misfits – I love punk rock too) , John Bonham, Keith Moon.
12. If you could hook up with any Sludgette Of The Month, who would you pick?
All of them!! Bring ‘em on.
13. 5CDs I can’t live without:
Black Sabbath – "Mob Rules" (Dio Sabbath rules!!!)
Iron Maiden – "Number of the Beast"
Dio – "The Very Beast of Dio"
Beatles – any of their cd’s will do.
GNR – "Appetite for Destruction"
Although, I haven’t heard the new Metal Shop cd yet! Can’t wait to get my hands on that one – my top 5 list could change. Go Metal Shop!
14. When was the last time you got laid?
Right now, as I’m writing this! Becoming a musician was the smartest thing I’ve ever done. Ah, the power of music.
15. How do you feel about being our September 2003 Slugeaholic Of The Month?
This is without a doubt the greatest honor I’ve ever received. Now I truly feel accepted in the metal community! You guys have THE best site on the weird wild web. I consider you the CNN of hard rock and metal. I truly thank you for bestowing the title of SOTM on me, from the bottom of my heart. This is a title I will wear proudly! Much thanks again to the staff at Metal Sludge, and my friend Scott Morrison for providing the live pics of me. Rock and roll forever!!
16. Personal Motto:
I have 2 actually: "Trust no one, believe nothing!"
&"Sex, Sludge & Rock and Roll!"
Congratulations to Jeff for being our September 2003 Sludgeaholic Of The Month!