SLUDGEAHOLIC OF THE MONTH
This month’s Sludgeaholic Of The Month is Jim Rice, who recently sent in a variety of captures ranging from Ozzy Osbourne to U2 to Mandy Moore! Anybody with that range of diverse captures deserves to be recognized!
So welcome our December 2001 Sludgeaholic Of The Month, Jim Rice!
1. Where are you from?
I’m from Philadelphia…The City Of Brotherly (& Sisterly) Love but I’ve been known to travel to see a good rock show. Living in Philly you have to be willing to travel because most bands seem to think that we don’t know how to rock…when you send us bands like Slaughter & Warrant what the hell do you expect?
1) To get a capture of Britney Spears.
2) To finally get a new Sludge shirt…my old one’s beat to hell! I retired it the other night at the NYC Steel show but I might have to break it back out for the Britney capture. I’ve been told I’m getting a couple of new ones for X-Mas so to hold off buying any. But you other Sludgeaholics without one are more than welcome to get one, leading to #3…
3) To persuade more Sludgeaholics to pursue captures…it seem the Sludgettes do a pretty good job but the Sludgeaholics are somewhat lacking. Sporting Sludgewear is a great way to meet new people (and to get chicks to buy YOU the drinks for once!). Special thanks to two Philly Sludgeaholics always showing off their Sludge…Dave Ehling & John Rettew.
4) To be voted Best Dessed Sludgeaholic by a group of my peers.
5) See Question #11
3. Turn-ons: Girls that see I’m a good guy, anything Sludge, the ariola, Perfect 10, cul-de-sacs, girls with a great sense of humor, good rock and/or roll, Jack Daniels Whiskey, and Newcastle Brown Ale.
4. Turn-offs: Girls that don’t know what they want, stupid drunks, girls that don’t clip their toenails, bands with no talent becoming popular, girls that take themselves too seriously, coffee houses, and Sludge haters.
5. What do you do for a living?
I sell bootleg Warrant & Sebitchian Bach shirts outside their "concerts" (i.e. club shows). For my paying job though I’m a buyer at Tower Records in N.E. Philly. You can’t beat it…free cd’s, shows, and we got to have only one of five Ozzy instores in the States. What more can you ask for?
6. How was it capturing Mandy Moore and do you own any Mandy Moore CDs?
Out of all of the instores I’ve attended, Mandy had to be one of the nicest & most down to earth people I’ve met. This took place at Tower in Cherry Hill, NJ & I went over to help out with security (and get a great capture!). She met with about 500 fans over 3 hrs. and when she was done she picked out some cd’s to buy. Her record company offered to pay but she wouldn’t let them. She paid for everything herself which is unheard of. This is the capture that convinced me that I needed to carry my own camera though…it took me about 5 months to finally get the photo off the person. Plus I wanted to make Jim Bob Dwarf jealous…imagine if he ever met her…she’d be covered in drool & puss!! Yes I do own the new Mandy Moore cd…it’s the one she gave me & autographed for me. Mandy rocks!
7. Favorite bands: A ton so let’s get started: WILDHEARTS, SG5, Yo-Yos, Grand Theft Audio, 3 Colours Red, Cheap Trick, Toilet Boys, David Bowie, Szuters, Jellyfish, Imperial Drag, The Grays, Jason Falkner, Fuzzbubble, Terrorvision, Spinal Tap, Manic St. Preachers, Backyard Babies, Black Halos, Hardcore Superstar, Hanoi Rocks, Rod Stewart, Electric Angels, Adrenalin, Octane, Primadonnaz, Outlaw Pandas, Tom Jones, Stereophonics, ELO, Crunchy, Rolling Stones, VH, Cult, The Churchills, Alice Cooper, Ramones, Replacements, Faster Pussycat, old Kiss (isn’t that an oxymoron?), Tsar, SR-71, Lit, Crown Of Thorns, Marvelous 3…and of course Enuff Z’Nuff.
8. Least favorite bands: There should only be one band on this list: Crazy Town. I have never met a Crazy Town fan but yet these guys still managed to have a #1 single & platinum album…how does that happen? But just for shits & giggles I’ll add Limp Bizkit (especially now that Wes Borland has left) and Korn. And most of the "nu-metal" crap coming out recently…it’s kinda like the end of the hair metal days when labels were just signing bands that sounded like other bigger & better bands but with only a quarter of the talent.
9. How long have you been coming to Metal Sludge?
Ever since my pal Metal Bob (Gary Lee Hagar) turned me on to it about almost two years ago (he actually was the one who got my shirt for my b-day last year…Thanks Metal Bob!). He never lets me forget that he’s been coming on since the early days on Geocities, during some of the original 20 Questions though.
10. When was the last time you got laid?
Why do you think I was late sending in my questions…I have my priorities straight!
11. If you could have sex with any Sludgette Of The Month, who would it be and why?
Helena Handbasket…no contest. She’s incredibly sexy AND has great taste in music.
12. Why do you call yourself "The Playboy?"
Actually this isn’t a self-inflicted nickname…my good friend Helaine (as in "Hello Helaine", not to be confused with Helena Handbasket) dubbed me The Playboy PA (as in Pennsylvania)-I believe she was cold and bored at the time. She claims it’s because I’m always out on the town and I pull so many chicks that I remind her of a playboy…she started calling me this and everyone gets a kick out of it, so it stuck. Also, Happy Birthday goes out to The Lovely Deborah…sorry I missed it!
|13. Lets pretend you ask out a really hot chick, and for some reason she agrees to go on a date with you. Where do you take her, what do you do, etc? Give us a run down Mr. Playboy.
Sure, I’ll play along. Usually I let the girl pick from a variety of date packages (#4 being my personal favorite…Sushi, Show, Sauna, Sex) but just this once we can dispense with the pleasantries and get to the good stuff. And are you sure this is a really hot chick or are you like most of my friends who say the girl has a "great personality"? Don’t waste my time, Sludge!
Jim with Eric Singer!
14. 5 CDs I can’t live without:
1) The Wildhearts "Best Of" (Double Japanese Version)
2) Cheap Trick "Sex, America, Cheap Trick" (Box Set)
3) Jellyfish Box Set (Coming Spring 2002)
4) Any Enuff Z’Nuff CD
5) Don Johnson "Heartbeat"
15. How do you feel being our Sludgeaholic Of The Month for December 2001?
It’s clearly my greatest personal achievement. Everything after this is bound to be anticlimatic. It was really cool to have my captures posted under the picture of Ginger as well. Also it’s great being the Holiday Sludgeaholic so Happy Holidays to all of my fellow Sludgeaholics & Sludgettes out there!
16. Personal Motto:
1) I might not be the best looking guy here, but I’m the only one talking to you. (Lil’ Tweeta)
2) Every day I write my book…"The Life & Times Of Stupid"…But I never read it ’cause…I’m waiting for the movie. (Fuzzbubble "Big Time Nowhere")
3) Finally, as my friend Viv Savage from Spinal Tap once said, "Have a good time, all the time".
"The Playboy PA"
Congrats to J.R. for being our last Sludgeaholic Of The Month for the year 2001!