SLUDGEAHOLIC OF THE MONTH
This month’s Sludgeaholic Of The Month won this honor by winner our 2 Millionth Hit contest a few months back. He’s also our first international Sludgeaholic!
1. Where are you from?
Well, I’m from Belgium (yeah, one of those small countries in Europe). I live in a town called Waarschoot, which is located somewhere inbetween Bruges and Brussels.
2. Ambitions: I want to be the next singer for L.A. Guns. Uhm… OK, maybe not. I’m a horrible singer. But then again, maybe Tracii and I could record American Hardcore pt. II. Furthermore I want to do something that everybody remembers me by; although I have absolutely no idea how I’m going to achieve this. No wait! I just thought of something. I’m going to make a level for Unreal Tournament and the whole online gaming community will agree that it’s the best level ever designed in every possible way…. (OK, that was pathetic.)
3. Turn-ons: Girls in mini-skirts, girls in bikini’s, girls without mini-skirts, girls without bikini’s…. the usual stuff. Oh yeah… and my girlfriend.
4. Turn-offs: My thesis was a pretty big pain in the ass for about two years. I also hate it when people make annoying noises with their noses. I start to act really agitated when somebody does that. Girls that fart or belch. Girls aren’t supposed to do that kind of stuff in public. Actually, they’re not supposed to do that at all.
5. What do you do for a living?
I’m a poor student but I do earn some extra cash as a webdesigner and by helping people out with all their computer related problems. I did apply for a job as "software engineer" with a big software company a while back and I can start there in October. Yeah , I’m a nerd.
6. Any formal education?
Hopefully, by the end of this month I will have a university degree in computer science. I’ve just finished my thesis and since I finished all my courses last year I don’t have to study while most other students have exams right now. (Well, actually, I didn’t manage to complete my thesis last year so I needed an extra year to work on it.) I also have a high-school diploma: in ’95 I graduated in math/economy.
7. Favorite bands: There are quite a few bands I really like. Let’s start with L.A. Guns since I maintain a personal website about them. It’s called Over The Edge and it can be found at http://users.pandora.be/laureyns/laguns. I hope to see them live one day (whatever the line-up may be) but so far I haven’t had any luck. Two of my other favorite bands are Savatage and Iced Earth. Other bands I really like are AC/DC, Pink Cream 69, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Helloween, Destiny’s End, Blind Guardian, Tesla and probably a few dozen more.
8. Least favorite bands: Most of the nu-metal bands suck ass IMO. They’re not metal at all and most of them are a bunch of posers. So I’m talking about Korn, Limp Bizkit and all those other mainstream "metal bands".
9. How long have you been coming to Metal Sludge?
The first time I went to Metal Sludge was when you guys did 20 Q’s with Tracii Guns for the first time, so since 12/2/98. Somebody on the L.A. Guns forum mentioned it. After those questions with Tracii you guys did 20 Q’s with a whole bunch of other (ex-/future-)members of L.A. Guns so I kept coming back.
10. What was the last time you got laid?
Must have been about two hours ago. But don’t tell my girlfriend. Nah… actually, she’s the only one I ever had sex with and I’m very happy about that.
11. How did it feel to get our 2 Millionth Hit?
Well, I was really excited. I’ve never won anything significant before in my whole live and there I was, getting the 2 Millionth Hit on a site that has visitors from all over the world and that gets more hits a day then I get in a whole year for my L.A. Guns site. I actually was kinda proud and I went to the message boards I often post at to tell everyone I was going to be a Sludgeaholic.
12. What age did you lose your virginity and have you ever paid for sex?
20 and no. Unless you count all those things I have to buy to keep my girlfriend happy
13. People Think I’m…… I just asked this to a friend of mine and his answer was "shibby". But that’s only because he’s nuts and he watched "Dude, where’s my car?" once too many. Another friend said "a bit like Mobutu" but he’s a total headcase. I guess my girlfriend and my parents think I’m lazy so I’d say "people think I’m lazy".
14. Do you ever wish you lived in the US?
At times like these when L.A. Guns and Savatage are doing club tours I really wish I lived in the States. But then again, if I lived in the States, I would have to buy those expensive European import CD’s that have all those cool bonus tracks and extra booklets. So Belgium is pretty cool too.
15. How do you feel being the Sludgeaholic Of The Month for June 2001?
As you can see from my answer to question 11, I was quite excited. However, at the same time I also felt a bit guilty that I was going to be a Sludgeaholic without ever having bought a Metal Sludge shirt. But that feeling went away when I got to capture those guys from Helloween and Blaze. The next show I’ll be attending will be the Graspop Festival here in Belgium so I’ll be spreading the Sludge Word there too.
16. Personal Motto: "I don’t know"
Congratulations to Jan for being our June 2001 Sludgeaholic Of The Month!