SLUDGETTE OF THE MONTH
This month’s Sludgette was on hand for the Unofficial Gathering Of The Sludgeaholics in Las Vegas in March 2004, and frequently contributes to our Gossip Board. She’s persistant as fuck because she emailed us a million times to be a Sludgette and she finally caught our attention and now she is one!
Now as you can see up above, her being Sludgette Of The Month for June 2004 has put so much pressure on her she has a drinking problem. Being a Sludgette Of The Month will do that to you.
Anyway, congratulations to Marie Braden for being our June 2004 Sludgette Of The Month!
1. Name and age: Marie Braden (Polexxia on the boards), 32
2. Height: 5’3"
3. Weight: I’m not sure I can count that high. More than both Olsen Twins put together, I’m sure.
4. Where are you from?
I was born in Alabama, and drifted around the Southeast until I was 19, when I moved to Japan. I spent 8 years there, 3 in Germany, and now I’m marking the days until I can leave Utah (approximately 596).
5. Ambitions: What ambition could be greater than the desire to be a Sludgette of the Month?
Scarily enough, I’ve actually realised all my ambitions to date, except for one. I mean, I "married a 6 ft. green-eyed Brit named Ian" (yes, in junior high that was an ambition of mine–sad, no?). I’ve gotten to smack Ette’s ass. I’ve lived in Japan. I’ve been asked if I was the "genious behind bretswig.com" [sic] (For the record, I’m not.) I’ve lived in Europe. I’ve made TinaLu blush. I write about music and receive SOME compensation for it. I’ve sung Jovi karaoke with my second-favourite guitarist in the world. I’ve been selected as a Sludgette of the Month.
Honestly, what else IS there? Getting my name listed in the credits on someone’s CD? (Not a bad goal….hmmm)
6. Turn-ons: Geeks…… boys with a hint of dirty to them… especially the REALLY clean-cut looking ones ….. If I could find a straight, clean-cut boy in eyeliner who plays guitar, loves Bon Jovi, comic books, and computers… well, it would SO be on, then!
7. Turn-offs: Stupidity. Closed-mindedness. Chauvinism. Racism. (Oh wait, those are all prety much the same thing)
8. Favorite bands: Since 1983, I’ve essentially worshipped Richie Sambora. So, obviously, he and Bon Jovi are top of the list. After that, the list includes (in no particular order, and this list changes based on my mood) Prince, Fleetwood Mac, Janis Joplin, Robert Johnson, Skid Row, Steve Frangadakis, Tesla, Queensryche, the Ramones, Fenix Tx, Lou Reed, Elvis Presley, Triumph, Nerf Herder, Loretta Lynn, Darling Violetta, Metal Skool, Linda Ronstadt, David Allan Coe, Dio, the Eagles, Nick Drake, Great White, Poison, Slaughter, Megadeth, Anthrax, Hank III, LA Guns, Living Things, Brides of Destruction, Quiet Riot, Warlock/Doro, Dokken, The Runaways, Suzi Quatro, the Louvin Brothers, Nick Cave.
9. Least favorite bands: Metallica–this is no "bandwagon" thing, I’ve hated them since "Master
of Puppets". Jimmy Buffett–because I grew up in Florida. Plus, I’m boycotting Kiss, not on musical grounds, but just on their general irritation factor these days.
10. How long have you been coming to Metal Sludge?
I’ve been browsing the static pages of the site since approximately 2002, but I didn’t jump into the boards and chat until last fall.
11. What age did you lose your virginity and how was it?
I was 12, and it was horrible.
12. The most spontaneous thing I’ve ever done was: I recently decided at 1 AM on a Friday morning to go across the country (from Utah to Philadelphia) for a 4:30 PM Saturday gig by a tribute band. Does that count? (I went to work, did a 10-hour shift, went directly to the airport, slept on the plane, attended the gig, went to a football game, got BACK on a plane, and went straight back to work when I left the airport.) There was also a Prince aftershow that I found out about at 5 PM on Tuesday, and flew to LA for on Thursday.
And of course, I decided to be late for work today so I could type up these answers
13. What exactly do you do for a living?
During the day, I work for "a major financier" as a customer service representative for private label credit cards. At night, I work on my website (http://www.polexxia.com) and write for a handful of music sites. I also spend long hours in SludgeChat, but I haven’t figured out a way to get paid for that, yet.
I tell everyone that what I do during the day is what makes me survive., but what I do after work is what makes me LIVE.
14. Last 5 CDs I purchased:
1. Prince "Emancipation
2. Soundtrack "Girl 6"
3. Bruce Foster/Richie Sambora "Shark Frenzy vol. 1" (British edition)
4. "Now That’s What I Call Sludge, vol. 1"
5. Union "The Blue Room’
15. I’d like to own: This may have been the hardest one to answer, because I pretty much GET what I want–and, for me, that’s not usually things… it’s usually flights to go see people play–hardly any good shows come to SLC. After all, look at the execrable promoters here!
16. If I had more time I would: Work more on my website, travel more, and further spread the word of Sludge to the unwashed masses.
17. The way to my heart is: Love of music, intelligence and wit. What’s the point of a beautiful package if you’re as dumb as a bag of rocks? I mean, sure, I’ll stare at the pretty ones, but I really need food for the soul and mind, in addition to looks. Although, by that standard, Arkansas Cracker would be the perfect man……
|18. How do you feel about being our June 2004 Sludgette Of The Month?
This is, hands down, the highlight of my summer.
19. Personal Motto:
with Mark Slaughter
Congratulations to Marie for being our June 2004 Sludgette Of The Month!