20 QUESTIONS WITH…
Sum 41′s Drummer Stevo 32
Being that Sum 41 guitarist Dave Brownsound is a Sludgeaholic and even ordered a shirt from us, we hit him up to see if any other member of Sum 41 would be down with doing 20 Questions with our stupid asses. He said to send questions out for their drummer Stevo 32, so on Sunday we did and they came back to us on Monday! Now that’s how’s it done! So thanks to Steve for being prompt and getting them back to us within 24 hours. Enjoy!
1. What are you up to?
Right now I’m on ebay and I’m bidding on a bunch of GI JOE’s I want for the collection. That’s 3 3/4" figures. Not the lame 12" dolls. I’m trying to get Destro right now.
2. It’s been reported that Sum 41 might not release a third single and stop promoting "Does This Look Infected?" Is that because it didn’t sell like you guys thought it would and the label is cutting back, or is there some other reason?
We did release third single but only in Canada and Japan but even we knew it wasn’t going to be a smash hit, so what’s the point? This album did it’s job with Still Waiting. It was the first step in becoming a heavier band. Which is what we all wanted to do. Regardless of "singles" I think the other songs on the album rule – Whether or not they’re "radio material".
3. Cone told Rolling Stone that the new Sum 41 CD is it’s going to be like Metallica’s "Master Of Puppetsish." Are you concerned about alienating your fan base at all by doing that, or are you not concerned about that?
I don’t think it’s going to sound like Master of Puppets, but it’s going to be heavier. I think what Cone meant was that we’re going to try and make a heavier album but still hold on to our melodies – in the way that MOP is a heavy album that you can sing along with. If we can do that, our fans won’t care.
4. What hard rock/heavy metal band should give it up and call it a day?
Jane’s addiction. I don’t like their "moves".
5. Rate the following drummers on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being somebody who couldn’t keep time with a watch and 10 being a Drum God!
Travis Barker = 10
Tommy Lee = 8
Rikki Rockett = 1
Alex Van Halen = 9
Peter Criss = 3
Nicko McBrain = 7 1/2
Neil Peart = "2 many notes"
Nicko McBrain = Why did you put Nicko twice? What about Clive Burr? I like him a bit better. Clive gets an 8 1/2 (We meant Clive Burr but wrote Nicko twice. We’re idiots.)
Dave Lombardo = 8
Lars Ulrich = technically I think he’s more like a 6, but because I think he rules he gets a 10.
6. You guys just did the WARP Tour this Summer. When you’re hooking up with groupies after a gig, do you check their ID’s first or what? How does that work?
I don’t even dare to ask their age, it’s enough to know she’s there backstage.
7. Cost wise, what’s the most amount of damage you guys have ever done to a hotel or venue, and in your opinion, what’s the best way to fuck up a hotel?
No more than $5,000 to a hotel. Breaking stuff is one thing, but I get that excited doing that. I like fire extinguishers because they’re funnier. And in Japan, I found out the foam is pink after I sprayed Dave’s guitar tech.
8. Which do you prefer:
Judas Priest or Iron Maiden = They’re about even, but I think Maiden is a little more consistent – so I say Maiden.
SCTV or Kids In The Hall = Kids in the hall
Killer Dwarfs or Helix = I don’t know the Killer Dwarves – But I’d choose anyone over Helix.
Bob and Doug MacKenzie or Blair and Gary MacLean = Bob and Doug.
Sebastian Bach or Geddy Lee =
Tim Horton or White Castle = Tim Hortons.
Much Music or MTV =
A shaved pussy or a nice landing strip = Landing strip. No ass-crack hair though so I suggest a wax for most girls.
Zanzibar or Brass Rail = Brass Rail
Blue Jays or Expos = I hate sports.
9. Which member of Sum 41 has the most homosexual tendencies?
Well, we all like to cuddle sometime. I just sure I’m on top.
10. Rate the following chicks on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being a total mess and 10 being a hottie.
Carmen Electra = 5 (she would get a better score if she wasn’t married to that dink)
Tara Reid = 1
Jenna Jameson = 3
Gwen Stefani = 8
Jewel = 7
Beyonce = 10
Michelle Branch = 2
Christina Aquilera = 5
Britney Spears = 10 (now that I’ve heard she’s a Coke head)
Kelly Osbourne = 4
Pamela Anderson = 1
11. If you could put together the worst concert bill possible, what 5 bands would you put on it?
12. What rock star deserves a smack in the mouth and why?
Madonna. Belted across the face with her lame children’s book. That was the worst 15 bucks I ever spent.
13. How hard did you laugh when you heard SR-71 got dropped?
It was funnier knowing they were about to fail. Everyone knew it. Except good ‘ol Mitch Allen – he believed he was a star until the very end… And that was hilarious.
14. Being that you’re in a popular, current band that’s on MTV, have you had the opportunity to fuck Paris Hilton yet?
No. She’s off limits.
15. Yes or no, have you ever:
Met Steve-O from Jackass = Yes
Touched Avril Lavigne’s tits = I wasn’t aware she’d finally gr… Wait. Sorry. No.
Had a gay guy hit on you = Yes
Received a body cavity search at the border = Almost, but not yet.
Had sex with a hooker = Sort of. I fucked one with a hand gun. But I think she was just a stripper. Unfortuanely for the story – the gun was only a replica. But she didn’t know that and it was huge. A 357.
Done blow with another rock star = Yes
Wanted to be the drummer for Warrant = Who Sack? Sometimes.
Lied about your age = Yes – but only to get into bars when I was underage. I haven’t reached the age when I start lying because I’m starting to look old.
Touched a penis other than your own = Sure.
Owned a Killer Dwarfs CD = No. How about The Dwarves? I listen to them.
16. Who’s the most overrated band today and why?
Jet. Because their song is a garbage reproduction of classic rock and roll cliches. Is there any limit to crappy bands that just seem to spring up from the bins of vintage clothing stores?
17. The last of Steveo-32:
Last CD you purchased = Painkiller – Dave wants me to learn it on drums.
Last time you shot somebody with a super soaker = 2 years ago.
Last hotel Sum 41 was kicked out of = DC Hilton
Last time you saw Metal Shop = Three weeks ago. I went up and played "You got another thing comin’" I’ll be back next week after Dave’s wedding in Hawaii.
Last time you egged a car = I don’t eat or throw eggs anymore.
Last movie you saw = Elf. The ending was a Christmas Cheer shit factory – but the middle was funny.
Last book you read = Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.
Last thing you purchased that you really had no need for = A 100% complete 1983 Destro GI JOE.
Last time you were arrested = I’ve never been. Detained? Sure. But never arrested.
Last concert you saw = Rancid in Toronto.
18. When do you guys plan on doing the big "Sum-41 breakup" to set everybody up for the big "Sum-41 reunion" and play bowling alleys and state fairs?
It could be soon. After the next album? We’re on a break now, maybe people will think we’ve already been dropped and we can market our NEXT album as our triumphant return to showbiz!
19. Your singer told Launch that Sum 41 were offered a slot on the Summer Sanitarium 2003 Tour with METALLICA, LINKIN PARK, LIMP BIZKIT, MUDVAYNE, and the DEFTONES, but you guys turned it down! Was that because playing in front of 60,000 – 70,000 people each night sounded like a bad idea to you guys, or were you guys just smoking a lot of crack that day?
We didn’t want to go on first and we thought playing all those shows would get in the way of our crack habit. Besides the only band that we listen to on that bill is Metallica, and we played 8 shows with them in Europe after Summer Sanitarium.
20. Time for Metal Sludge’s Word Association. We mention a name and you give us your thoughts!
Carson Daly = I don’t care what anyone says – Carson is alright.
Mitch Allan = Bitch Allen
Greig Nori = the hand that feeds
Iann Robinson = Who?
Good Charlotte = Nice guys
Kid Rock = After his last few singles he should think about removing ‘Rock’ from his name. Only a suggestion. Maybe even a wake up call.
Howard Stern = Bring back Fartowski
George W. Bush = AWOL in ’72 + Cokehead + stolen 2000 election = America should be ashamed. But what are you gonna do, eh?
Fred Durst = Creepy in that new video
Dave Brownsound = creepy all of the time
Pain For Pleasure = The Darkness
Now that’s a good 20 Questions. Some shit talking, humor, and he called Britney Spears a coke head, so that’s good entertainment!
For more info on Sum 41, you can visit www.Sum41.com!