20 QUESTIONS WITH…
The Donnas’ Drummer Donna C
Last week The Donnas performed on TRL and on Saturday Night Live, but this week is their biggest week yet cause Donna C is doing 20 Questions with us! Who needs that other stuff when you can be on our page? Now The Donnas will really take off! Enjoy!
1. What are you currently up to? This is your only chance to promote your shit.
we’ve been home for the holidays, but really soon we’re going to go out on tour again. we’re going to tour america first for about five weeks and then we go to europe. it’s been nice to be home, but i’m excited to go out again.
2. What’s been the biggest difference between being on Lookout Records and now being on Atlantic Records?
there are a lot more people working at atlantic so we had to get to know a lot more people. also, i think that, unfortunately you can only get so far on an independent label these days. everyone at lookout worked really hard
and we loved it there, but it’s so hard to get on the radio and to get your video played without a really big promotion team in place.
3. Being a chick in a male dominated industry, how much shit have you had to put up with? Give us a few quick examples.
a lot. when we first started we got a lot of "girls can’t play", and "go home and play with your dolls" from the boys in our school. they even started rumors that i actually kicked my bass drum instead of using a pedal and that i had towels instead of drum heads. now it’s a little more subtle, like sound guys at different clubs being skeptical when we walk on stage to sound check, but we’re used to it.
4. What rock band should give it up and call it a day?
that’s hard, but i’d have to say, creed.
5. Rate the following guys on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being a total scrub and 10 being a hottie.
Jizzy Pearl = 9
Stephen Pearcy = 9
Tom Keifer = 10
Vince Neil = now i’d have to say 6, but around "shout at the devil" i’d go higher
Kid Rock = 7
Steve O = 9
Carson Daly = 6
Howard Stern = 6.5
Jani Lane = 4
Eminem = 9
Jon Bon Jovi = 5
Bret Michaels = 5
Lemmy = 7.5
6. What 80s hairband drummer would you most like totalk shop with?
tommy lee or fred coury
7. You girls have been playing together since 8th grade. So what came first, puberty or the band?
8. If The Donnas could tour with any other 3 bands, what 3 bands would they be?
that’s hard, it’s hard to find bands we go with musically so we like to with friends. but if i could choose anyone i guess i’d have to say guns ‘n roses (i’d love for them to reunite, but i have to say, buckethead interests me), the strokes, and cinderella. WASP could be cool too.
9. The name The Donnas has been around since 96 or so, and is actually a trendy name right now, because it starts with "The" and ends in an ‘s’ like The Vines, The Strokes, The Hives, etc. Do you feel to blame for this trend?
10. Rate the following drummers on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being somebody who couldn’t keep time with a watch and 10 being a drumming virtuoso!
Samantha Maloney = 8
Stephanie from Kid Rock = 8
Tommy Lee = 10
Lars Ulrich = 10
Rikki Rockett = 7
Travis Barker = 7
Peter Criss = 8
Vikki Foxx = 6
Bobby Blotzer = 7
Mike Fasano = 7
11. What rock star deserves a smack in the mouth and why?
there are too many to list here
12. The Last of Donna C:
Last time you broke a cymbal = on our last tour i broke my ride cymbol
Last lie you told = can you find the one in this interview?
Last CD you purchased = rolling stones 40 licks
Last clothes store you went into = the wasteland
Last time you went on a date = last night
Last book you read = the a to z encycledia of serial killers
Last time a guy grabbed your ass = a week ago
Last movie you saw = hellraiser 4
Last time you smoked a fatty = 2 nights ago
Last item you purchased from Victoria’s Secret = underwear
13. You girls have grown up together so you know each others pet peeves. What is something you could do to
each Donna if you really wanted to irritate them?
i don’t mean to annoy them, but i snore so i’m sure that bugs them.
14. How come The Donnas don’t have a backdrop, drum riser, stacks of amps, personalized guitar picks, or any other cool rock shit? How can you become successful without that?
we have personalized guitar picks and we have a backdrop, but it’s not very big and sometimes i have a drum riser. as for the other stuff: money.
15. Yes or no, has Donna C ever:
Cheated on a boyfriend = no
Missed bus call = we hang out on our bus so we don’t miss bus call
Flashed somebody for Mardi Gras beads = i’ve never flashed for them, but i still got the beads
Wanted to have sex with Nikki Sixx = i want to hang out with nikki sixx
Kissed another girl = no
Thought about posing for Playboy = no, we want to be the photographers
Shoplifted = yes
Given a guy a fake phone number = yes
Had your drumstick get caught in your hair = yes, many times
Been stalked by fan = well some guys in texas got my phone number from information a few years ago and started calling me but they were nice so i wouldn’t really call it stalking.
16. Recently, Howard Stern turned down The Donnas performing on his show unless you girls performed either in lingerie or even topless. So what was the problem?
it was actually our label trying to get us on the show. it wasn’t us. we
were in canada at the time and we didn’t even know about it until he talked about it on the air. it was a complete misunderstanding. we don’t do that.
17. How long do you typically wait before you let a guy in your pants?
if he asked like that he would be waiting a long time.
18. What’s Maya so angry about?
she’s not angry.
19. How much money did Atlantic Records spend to get you girls on TRL?
what makes you think they had to pay. you don’t think we got the votes on our own?
20. Time for Metal Sludge’s Word Association. We mention a name and you give us your thoughts.
Jizzy Pearl = he was great when we saw ratt at our favorite club, the pound.
Jason Flom = he’s with lava and i’ve never met him
Joan Jett = i hope we can play more shows with her
Butch Walker = i liked his 20 questions
Alice Cooper = we did some shows with him during his brutal planet tour and so all i remember is oil drums and bones
Gene Simmons = i loved it when maya told him that we aren’t in sixth grade.
Avril Lavigne = she’s canadian
Cinderella = the best
Christina Aguilera = i just can’t stop watching
Sebastian Bach = i miss his show on vh1
Andy Dick = he seemed to take interviewing us for our dvd really seriously. it was funny when maya pushed him in the pool.
The Donnas start their tour this week. For the latest dates and info The Donnas, you can go to their website at www.TheDonnas.com!