20 QUESTIONS WITH…
Ex-Megadeth Drummer Nick Menza
This week’s 20 Questions are with Ex-Megadeth Drummer Nick Menza!
1. What is Nick Menza currently up to? This is your only change to promote your shit.
Well, since Megadeth, my son was born. He has been a big focus for me. I also put together a CD. The music is stuff that I was writing during my career with Megadeth. It’s kinda like Megadeth meets Dream theatre with a little White Zombie touch. I did this to get stuff off my chest. Like my paintings, it was an experimental art type thing. Like I said, some of the music is from years ago. It’s kinda a snapshot of the times. I really didn’t expect to make it a public project. But, I have been getting a lot of attention. Either you like or you don’t. I am currently putting together a band to go play live. Max Norman co-produce and you can go buy it on my site - www.menza.com – there ya go!
2. After nearly 10 years of playing with Megadeth and Dave you have now been out of that picture for a few years. Tell our Sludgeaholics why you?re out and what really happened?
It’s an old story – I went in for knee surgery and after I got a call from Dave. He basically said that my services were no longer needed. I though he was fuckin with me, but he was serious it turns out. I told him it was my band too. He said "No, it’s my band" and that was that. I was pissed at first, then relieved a bit.
3. Dave has been known to dance with some hard chemicals and openly admits it. What & when was the worst you saw Dave and did you ever try to give your 2 cents to try & help?
Well, we were like family. Dave did abuse himself a lot. It was sad to see him like that. We were supportive. It wasn’t easy. I think one of the worst was that Dave got wasted on drugs before we were to play the Boudakan in Japan. We didn’t get to play. i was sad, not pissed. Dave was really a good guy deep down inside,, but when he partied, it was bad. you do not want to party with him then..
4. What band or bands should call it a day and why?|
No band should call it a day. Music is music and you should always play what you want.
5. Rate the following drummers on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being a hack and 10 being a drum God!
You forgot Will Kennedy, Buddy Rich, Aldrich and other top drummers!Rikki Rocket = 5- cool guy though – he is a great humanitarian
Jimmy DeGrasso = 7- just because he’s a cool guy and technically proficient
Eric Singer = 8 – he’s a cool guy – we wear the same kind of pants.have the same designer
Peter Criss = 5 -
Chuck Behler = 6 – pretty solid, just never applied himself..busy looking for crack or blow
Lars Ulrich = 8 – he’s a schmooze drummer – he’s good, didn’t think so, but he proved me wrong
Scott Travis = 10 – he’s rippin drummer!
Clive Burr = 10 – he’s just another fuckin shredding drummer! he’s very innovative!
Bobby Blotzer = 7 -he’s ok, just a song oriented guy
Blas Elias = 5 – he didn’t even play on his record, except for concert toms, but he has really cool hair
Neil Peart = 11 – do I need to say more??
Vinnie Paul = 10 -he’s a monster dummer – he rocks… he is a slammin drummer!
6. Of all the tours Megadeth did, which bands treated you the best and the absolute worst?
the best – Judas Priest
Worst – Aerosmith …they fired us off tour cuz Dave blew his nose in an Aerosmith and Dave made a comment on them live on radio. They asked us how long did we play at the show and Dave said it was short cuz they haven’t long to live. We left Pantera and White Zombie for this!
7. What songs should go in a vault of songs that suck from your Megadeth days?
Umm… I don’t really think that there are any. Some may not be my favorite, but none should go into a vault.
8. Do you have any regrets about your actions which led up to Dave firing you?
i was the only member to stay for that long in Megadeth. I was there for 10 years, and I was in a great band. I can’t regret anything about that!
9. What?s your fascination with Aliens and have you ever been probed by one?
Never been probed ….. went out with a couple of chicks that were alien, but never alien probed in the ass. Why not be fascinated. Who are we to say we are the only ones in the universe?
10. This is the Last of Nick Menza….
Last person you argued with = Tery, about her underware in the washer machine. they got ripped in the washer.
Last time you received $$$ from Mustaine = Oh – 3 years ago!
Last time you jacked off = was fuckin hours ago! do you want to know how much I came and who I nutted on?
Last 80s hairband CD you listened to = Dokken – Tooth & Nail
Last gig you played = was in – i think I was in Seattle…Cryptic Writings tour
Last time you had the shits = when I got Fired!
Last band you watched from the crowd = Megadeth
Last time you cried = When my son was born! Tears of joy!
Last groupie encounter = When I did all the chicks in "Drain" – I was on jagermeister
Last time you saw a UFO = I saw them at the Palace with Michael Schenker
11. Why didn?t you participate in Megadeth?s ?Behind The Music?
I was asked to by the producer. I didn’t want to, because I know that they can chop it up and what I really say can be altered. Dave has the last word on all things done and at the time, I was not going to be made to look like an idiot by being sdited. So, i declined.
12. Dave has mentioned that in London, he had you by the throat and was going to kill you because you were intoxicated. What do you remember about that incident?
I remember, he wanted me to piss in a bottle. Take a urine test. I told him no and what I did in my own time was none of his business. He got pissed and started swinging. Said he was going to kill me. Security broke it up. He was all bent on everyone taking a urine test. It was principle. I quit and he fired me at the same time. He kicked me in the back. He was off then! I was fired like 7 times, before I was really fired and I quit like 4 times.
13. What was your biggest musical related check for & what did you spend it on?
It was a publishing check and I spent it on my house and car…. It was very, very large!
14. What rock star deserves a smack in the mouth and why?
John Bonham for fuckin dying! Or Hendrix for taking too many drugs… Any of the greats that died because of abuse! How dare they take that awesome talent away from the world!
15. What do you remember about the following years:
1977 = song remains the same! 7 nights at the forum.
1980 = I think that is the first professional band I had with Kelly Rhoads
1985 = How can I fuckin remember back that far? I learned how to do 2 chicks at once.
1988 = I was drum tech for Megadeth
1993 = Countdown to Extiction – touring, drumming
1996 = Youthanasia – Dr. Kovorkian
2001 = My son was born!
16. What is your opinion of ?The Risk? CD?
I didn’t play on it!
17. Would you ever consider joining a Megadeth tribute band?
No – I was in the real deal – I was apart of Megadeth…. I can’t do a tribute to myself – right?
18. Have you ever tied up a girl, gang banged her and filmed it with friends? If so, please tell us the gory details? (No lying)
You can buy the video…no, I tied up a chick but never gang banged…maybe she did after I left.
19. Do you miss the days of being successful?
Success is in all forms. I have an awesome son. I have a great home, all my equipment and awesome memories of my career. People should have it as good as me.
20. Time for Metal Sludge?s Word Association. We mention a name and you give us your thoughts.
Alice Cooper = Snakes
James Hetfield = The Master of Puppets
Scott Ian = Mosh -
Nikki Sixx = Donna – she was hot
Rob Halford = The Metal GOD!!!!
Marty Friedman = is fuckin Kichi guy – (crazy)
Sebastian Bach = GODZILLA!
Dave Ellefson = Diplomat
Lars Ulrich = business man
Dave Mustaine = Mad Dog
For more info on Nick, you can go to his website at http://www.menza.com