20 QUESTIONS WITH…
Slaves On Dope’s Kevin Jardine
A few months ago, Kevin dropped us a line about our page so we thought we’d hit him up for 20 Questions.
For those of you that don’t know, Slaves On Dope were the first band to be signed to Ozzy Osbourne’s record label, Divine Recordings. And they’re from Canada and were on a Bret Michaels Tribute CD! That alone is enough for us to do 20 Questions with them. Enjoy!
1. What are you currently up to? This is your only chance to plug your CDs, tours, websites, etc.
We are in the middle of writing the follow up to "inches from the mainline" We hope to have it recorded in early 2002 and out by the summer, but you know how that goes.
2. How did you guys end up doing "Look What The Cat Dragged In" for the Bret Michaels "A Tribute To Poison" CD and what did you think about that CD?
We met the guys in Poison because they were rehearsing next to us in LA. Bobby needed a bass guitar strap and I gave him one. Brett bought us Pizza to thank us and we talked and he asked if we would do a song for his tribute cd. He also invited us to watch the Super Bowl at his place and race go-karts, which we couldn’t turn down.
3. Please tell us about Slaves On Dope earlier record "Light On Your Feet" and how that album compares to the new album?
That song is off "one good turn deserves another" which was released in 1997 and was only for sale in Canada. It was a song that the record company wanted released and they were only going to push that song. We all like the song but it may be too "mellow" for some of our fans.
4. What hard rock/heavy metal band should give it up and call it a day?
ummmmmmm…………….sheesshhhhhhhhhhh, thats tough.
I guess the one thing i would like to see is Priest again WITH Halford.
5. Which do you prefer:
Aimee Osbourne or Kelly Osbourne = i love em both
Zebrahead or Motorhead = Motorhead are legends and Zebrahead gave us our first US show.
Detroit Red Wings or Dallas Stars = Montreal Canadiens
Union Underground or Saliva = Powerman 5000 or Kid Rock
Playboy or Penthouse = Playboy
CC DeVille or Rikki Rockett = CC
Rush or Triumph = RUSH
Pamela Anderson or Shania Twain = Pam
Pot or cocaine = neither
Bob & Doug McKenzie or Jay & Silent Bob = Bob and Doug.
6. With the way the Montreal Canadians have played over the last few years, you don?t really consider them a hockey team, do you?
Considering we have 24 cups, we are the ONLY hockey team.
7. Does Kittie have any real talent?
Yes they do.
8. Slaves On Dope are on Ozzy’s Divine Recordings label. Do you think Ozzy even has any idea he even has a record label?
Ozzy knows who I am, I believe he knows I’m in a band……Maybe I should ask him.
9. Was it someone at the record label or at management that decided Slaves On Dope should have a bald guy, a guy with dreads and 2 guys with gotees?
No, it just happened that way.
10. Rate the following chicks on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being a mess and 10 being a hottie.
Raylene the pornstar = Franks ex girl…….10
Sharon Osbourne = boss = 10
Jenna Jameson = 1
Janine = 1
Britney Spears = in the schoolgirl outfit 10
The Rack = 7
Shania Twain = 6
Jennifer Lopez = 9
That chick from Spike 1000 = 5
Carmen Electra = 8
11. Are you disappointed with your album sales so far?
We got no video support and radio was cut short as well. I think 60,000 is good for a band that sold records by word of mouth and their live show.
12. Is it true that your singer is obsessed with KNAC?s The Rack?
I think it may be the other way around.
13. What rock star deserves a smack in the mouth and why?
The guys from Alien Ant Farm. They talk too much smack for their own good. They played a show in Montreal and talked shit about us on stage. Some of our close friends were at the show and told us what they said. Plus the whole Van’s Warped thing this summer, it’s obvious they have big mouths.
14. When you toured with Union Underground, the band between you guys and UU, Dust For Life left the tour and Saliva replaced them. On your website it said you guys should have been moved up in the bill as immediate support but you weren?t. Then it said, "Since the beginning of time headlining bands have put what we call buffers between them and the band that may upstage them and that I understand." Do you really think Union Underground was worried about you guys upstaging them?
Yes, and to further that comment, the other reason that Saliva was in the immediate spot, was Union knew Saliva was going to be bigger than them and wanted the opening slot on one of their upcoming tours. Remember, it’s not show friends…..it’s show business.
What do you remember about the following years:
1976 = I was 4…..um, i played a lot
1980 = I got my first BMX
1984 = I began my love affair with metal
1988 = high school……tough years
1992 = slaves on dope started
1995 = Frank and Rob joined the band, most important day in the life of the band
1997 = our first official record was released in Canada
16. Who’s the most overrated band today?
17. How come the band’s website has over 2 million hits, but "Inches From The Mainline" hasn’t sold anywhere near that?
I believe its because we have devoted fans and since I am the webmaster, all the information on the site is real and all the updates happen when I get news.
18. Why do all the bands you tour with end you hating your band when the tour is over?
Who hates us? We have had our differences but never any bad blood. We do our job and we do it well, that pisses people off sometimes.
19. How long before you guys are dropped? Any idea?
We would never give anyone a reason to "drop" us.
20. Time for Metal Sludge’s Word Association. We mention a name and you give us your thoughts.
Kid Rock = crossed the line with Tommy
Fred Durst = has no Wes
Poison = paid our rent
Jani Lane = tired
Vince Neil = see above
Carson Daly = smarter than I though
Disturbed = WA KA KA KA
Marilyn Manson = Orlando (my guitar tech)
Sharon Osbourne = respect
Jack Osbourne = little brother
Pretty much straight to the point with a few slaps to people here and there. That’s cool.
For more info on Slaves On Dope, visit their website at www.slavesondope.com