20 QUESTIONS WITH…
Megadeth Guitarist Al Pitrelli
Last month we did 20 Questions with Megadeth’s Dave Mustaine, and this month we have Megadeth’s Al Pitrelli! Enjoy!
1. What are you up to now?
Touring the United States and supporting The World Needs A Hero
This is your only chance to plug your shit
Thanks for the opportunity
2. Why did you pass up doing our 20 Questions the first time around?
Where I grew up you don’t talk shit about friends and especially family. For all that Dave has done for the metal community I thought what you posted about Dave and his family in the studio was in bad taste and unfortunately I take everything personally; I’m from Brooklyn.
3. What hard rock/heavy metal band should give it up and call it a day?
If you have already toured in a bus and are touring again without one you should call it a day
4. How many gold or platinum records have you been awarded for material you actually played on?
I don’t remember, I lost them in the divorce
And how many have you been given for just being in the group as a hired gun during the success run?
See answer 4
5. Rate the following guitarists on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being somebody who totally sucks and 10 being a virtuoso.
C.C. DeVille = 5
Mick Mars = 6
Slash = 8
Marty Friedman = 9
Ted Nugent = 8
Ace Frehley = 8
Zakk Wylde = 9
Chris Poland = 9
Bruce Kulick = 7
Tracii Guns = 5
Chris Caffery = 7
6. What was the deal with that project you did with Stephen Pearcy?
I did it for the money.
What was that all about?
See answer 6
7. How did working with Dee Snider compare to working with Dave Mustaine and Stephen Pearcy?
Dee and Dave are both very tall and Stephen ain’t
Who is more difficult to please?
Dee is a walk in the park compared to Dave
8. What do you remember about the following years?
1974 = gas crisis
1978 = my dad becoming my high school principle
1982 = going to college
1986 = my first session
1990 = Alice Cooper
1994 = Don’t remember that year too well
1998 = Watching Megadeth for the first time in Sao Paolo, Brazil
9. What was the worst paying gig you ever took?
Kool and the gang: they never paid me
10. Rate the following albums on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being something that gets used as a beer coaster and 10 being a classic.
Motley Crue "Shout At The Devil" = 5
David Lee Roth "Eat ‘Em And Smile" = 7
Poison "Look What That Cat Dragged In" = 4
Savatage "Poets And Madmen" = 7
Alice Cooper "Hey Stoopid" = 4
Widowmaker "Stand By For Pain" = 7
Metallica "Load" = 5
Megadeth "Risk" = 7
Aerosmith "Nine Lives" = 6
Warrant "Cherry Pie" = 1
11. You tried out for David Lee Roth & Ozzy Osbourne, but didn’t get either gig. What do you think the reason for that was and do you have any good stories to go along with those auditions?
12. You’ve done a lot of touring by looking at your resume, please give us a thought or a opinion of the following cities.
Al with Alice Cooper
13. What rock star deserves a smack in the mouth and why?
See Dave’s response
14. You are pretty much a band whore, so which of the following bands would you be willing to play for if the offer came along:
L.A. Guns =
Motley Crue =
Papa Roach =
Sebastian Bach =
I think I was already in all of these bands in 1994
15. Of all the bands you’ve been involved with, who was the cheapest band?
Kool and the gang
16. Finish these sentences:
Nikki Sixx is obviously in trouble again
Fred Durst looks like he is going to need a job soon
Savatage will always be mad at me
Dee Snider should make Strangeland part 2 with mucho Megadeth music
Stephen Pearcy can’t seem to find my number now that he’s gotten paid
Anthrax can tour with us anytime they want
17. Can you explain how it’s possible to go from playing with Michael Bolton and Celine Dion to being in Megadeth?
Plug in a bigger amp
18. Do you consider playing with Danger Danger a career highlight?
Absolutely, it taught me what to never do again
19. How much of a mess were you when you joined Megadeth?
No mess once I was in Megadeth
20. Time for Metal Sludge’s Word Association. We list a name and you give us your thoughts.
Chris Caffery = My favorite rock star
Jack Russell = My least favorite rock star
Dee Snider = Scariest rock star
Alice Cooper = Oldest rock star
David Lee Roth = Most deserving-to-join-his-old-band rock star
Michael Bolton = Was a rock star before he became Engleberg Humperdink
Korn = My son’s rock stars
Lars Ulrich = Danish rock star
Vince Neil = Blond rock star
Dave Mustaine = Angry rock star