20 QUESTIONS WITH…
We like to kick off the "new season" of 20 Questions each year with somebody special, and this year that person is Lita Ford!
Lita needs no introduction but we’ll give her a brief one anyway. Way back in the day, she was a member of The Runaways with Joan Jett, she eventually went solo, dated Nikki Sixx and Tony Iommi (not at the same time though), married Chris Holmes from W.A.S.P., had two massive hits with "Kiss Me Deadly" and her duet with Ozzy Osbourne "Close My Eyes Forever" and eventually married Nitro’s Jim Gillette. You couldn’t open up a Metal Edge for years without seeing a pinup of her. And other than marrying Chris Holmes, she’s never really done anything to embarrass herself or do anything stupid like so many others from that era. So what’s she doing now? Well check out her 20 Questions and find out. Enjoy!
1. What are you currently up to? This is your own chance to plug your shit.
I don’t have any shit to plug at the moment. I’ve just been raising our 2 boys and being Jim’s girl. They rock my world.
2. Where the hell have you been? You were the main staple of women in hard rock for so long and it appears as though you’ve fallen off the face of the earth. What’s up?
Yes, well pretty much. We live in the middle of the Caribbean on a deserted island.
3. A fans website bio says: "At a Dallas club called City Limits in 1994 she met ex Nitro vocalist Jim Gillette and they hit it off immediately. Within 2 weeks they were married on 13 May 1994 after Jim proposed to Lita as they sat by a lake sipping cocktails. He arranged for a plane to fly over with a banner trailing it saying "Rossanna I love you. Marry Me." Is this true, and was the proposal done with a high octave range scream or a romantic whisper?
It was FRIDAY THE 13th, to be exact. The only one screaming was me, when I saw the plane and the banner I climbed up underneath, the back of Jim’s shirt. A woman security guard walked over to us and said, HEY, YOU ROSSANA? I said yes. She said, well…. whadya say?
4. What hard rock/heavy metal band should give it up and call it a day?
I don’t pay attention to that kind of shit.
5. Yes or no, has Lita Ford ever:
Had a threesome = Yes. Me and Jim and the dog watches.
Wanted to move back to LA = I love L.A. It’s just too populated.
Purchased a Nitro CD before you knew Jim = No, I never heard of them.
Went to a party on Saturday night and not gotten laid but got into a fight instead = Oh probably.
Kicked somebody in the balls = No, but I’ve picked at Jims nuts before.
Done blow in the bathroom of the Rainbow = Is a frogs butt water tight?
Flashed somebody for Mardi Gras beads = No.
Seen Jim hot, wet, and dripping with sweat = I’ve seen Jim dripping in all kinds of stuff.
Had Joan Jett put the moves on you = No. She knows I’m not carpet muncher.
Learned how to sing better by listening to a Metal Power tape = Jim is such an awesome singer, and has helped me in so many ways, but I’ve never sat down with the Metal Power tape? I’ve got the real thing.
6. In the 80s you had a great relationship with the Osbourne camp. Phil Soussan and Randy Castillo both played in your solo group and eventually joined Ozzy. On top of that Sharon was your manager. What do you remember most about your relationship with the Ozzy and Sharon?
I have many fond memories of Ozzy and Sharon. A top 10 hit single, awesome tour dates, Ozzy strangling Sharon.
7. How long before you let Jim in your pants?
Oh, I wanted him right away. It was our second date.
8. Please give us the 3 high points, and the 3 low points of your musical career to date?
Lita and Nikki Sixx, 1983
10. Rate the following chicks in music. 1 being a chick that needs her ass kicked and 10 being a chick that kicks ass!
Let’s just say the only music on this list I would listen to, would be No Doubt.
Britney Spears =
The Donnas =
Mandy Moore =
Amy Lee from Evanescence =
Courtney Love =
Michelle Branch =
Gwen Stefani =
Lorraine Lewis =
Courtney Love =
11. What exactly do you listen to musically these days? Anything get you excited?
Me and my boys listen to a lot of kid movie soundtracks. Aerosmiths version of Spiderman is awesome, Bryan Adams soundtrack on Spirit is cool, also Phil Collins kicks ass on Tarzan. There’s so many more. Have you heard the girls on Hercules? They are killer.
12. What rock star deserves a smack in the mouth?
Well I’d better not say, or Jim would do it.
Oh what the hell, it’s Satan?
13. Any desire to hit the road with any of the annual Summer package tours like with Poison or Rock Never Stops?
If the time is right and the tour is right. Otherwise I’m happy in my own bed.
14. When you see former rock pinups like Vince Neil and Jani Lane looking tore up, what goes through your mind? Are you glad you got out while you did?
There’s more to life than Rock -n- Roll.
15. Give us a memory about writing or recording the following songs:
Kiss Me Deadly = My producer told my to sing the, c’mon pretty baby, part like Elvis.
Close My Eyes Forever = Staying up all night with Ozzy, writing this song, then getting yelled at by Sharon the next day.
Hungry = I hate the video, but the song rocks, especially live.
Falling In And Out Of Love = Writing it with N. Sixx, we wrote it at One on One studio in N. Hollywood.
Black Widow = It was fun to play live.
Shot Of Poison = Getting a Grammy nomination for best female rock vocal performance, but loosing to Melissa, carpet muncher, Ethridge. Hee Hee.
Hellraiser = We had a great time recording this. Mike Chapman is a great writer. He wrote all the early Sweet stuff. Remember Ballroom Blitz. It’s another crazy song like that. Sharon Osbourne hated it and didn’t want it on my album. That caused a lot of problems for me. So it later came out on a” best of ”.
Back To The Cave = Very sexy song, nice video, I loved playing the guitar riff.
Black = I love this song; I remember all the damn words in it. It was a mouthful.
Lisa = Trying to sing it and not get all choked up. The song was a gift to my mother after she had been told she didn’t have long to live.
|16. Are you tired of people asking you about The Runaways doing a reunion? And since you probably are tired of that?.do you think that will ever happen?
No, the Runaways are history.
Was offered a tour about 3 years ago, but it all sounded like one big pain in patella. So I passed.
Lita, Joan Jett, Jackie Fox, Sandy West, and Cherie Currie
17. The last of Lita Ford:
Last time you played a gig as Lita Ford = 65 million years ago.
Last famous person you shook hands with = Sugar Ray – Mark McGrath.
Last time a guy other than Jim grabbed your ass = My kids grab my ass all the time.
Last CD you purchased = Kids Bop.
Last time you heard one of your songs on the radio = October 31st in Orlando, Fl.
Last book you read = The Victoria Secrets catalog
Last time you ate at the Rainbow Bar & Grill = About 10 years ago.
Last royalty check you received paid for what = I’ve got one sitting on my table at the moment, but Jim makes the big bucks and pays for all the good stuff.
Last time you talked to Nikki Sixx = about 10 years ago.
Last time you talked to Joan Jett = about 3 years ago.
18. Chris Holmes made quite a name for himself as he guzzled gallons of alcohol in his swimming pool during the making of "Decline of Western Civilization – Part II The Metal Years." That came out in 1988 and after meeting at the Rainbow Bar & Grill you then married
him on June 26th 1990. Which of the following was Lita thinking…..
A. Cool, that’s the drunk guy from W.A.S.P. and I know he has a killer pad with a pool in the Hollywood Hills.
B. I really like him cause he makes faces like a monster when he’s on stage and I can out play him at guitar too.
C. He looks better than Lemmy and he’s always at the Rainbow as well.
D. I don’t know what the fuck I was thinking and that’s why I divorced his ass a year later!
How’d you know?
After the death of my father I felt pretty lost, I guess I was looking for something to ease the pain. I still miss my father terribly.
19. Have you hit menopause yet?
Any minute now.
20. Time for Metal Sludge’s Word Association. We mention a name and you give us your thoughts.
Ozzy Osbourne = I bet it’s stressful having T.V. cameras in your house, watching your every move.
Joan Jett = Zombie
Alice Cooper = Welcome to my Nightmare at the Long Beach arena was the best show I ever saw.
Sandy West = Talented drummer
Chris Holmes = Tall
Cherry Currie = Looney
Tony Iommi = Satan
Eddie Van Halen = Guitar god, fun guy.
Nikki Sixx = Showed me how to make my hair stand up.
Sharon Osbourne = You go girl.
Sammy Hagar = Just saw him at the Hard rock hotel on Halloween; he has his own line of Tequila. Awsome dude.
Kim Fowley = He got me started in the music biz.
Thanks to Lita for coming off the beach and doing 20 Questions with us! She doesn’t have a website so we have nothing to plug down here. However, in honor of Lita, it’s a perfect time to plug our own line of Sludgette Wear!