METAL SLUDGE REWIND WITH…
SR-71 Singer Mitch Allan
We last talked to Mitch on January 9, 2000. It’s almost 3 years later and SR-71 has a new CD out. Mitch emailed us a month ago about doing a Rewind, so we sent him off some questions and here they are!
1. What are you currently up to?
WELL, SR-71 JUST RELEASED OUR 2ND MAJOR LABEL CD CALLED ?TOMORROW?. THE FIRST SINGLE, ALSO CALLED ?TOMORROW? IS #18 ON THE MODERN ROCK AND THAT MEANS WE ARE OUT ON THE ROAD, SOON TO BE PLAYING AT A DUMP NEAR YOU!
2. The new album seems a lot more aggressive and angry than the last one. What’s that all about?
TWO YEARS OF BEING CALLED ?PUSSIES? THAT WHAT?S THAT?S ALL ABOUT.
3. Tell us your best drunken Butch Walker story.
WE WERE BACK STAGE AFTER THE BON JOVI CONCERT IN ATLANTA, GA. WHEN RICHIE SAMBORA WALKED INTO OUR DRESSING ROOM. BUTCH WAS SO DRUNK HE WALKED STRAIT UP TO HIM AND SAID, ?TICO, YOU WERE GREAT TONIGHT MAN!?
4. What happened with the first drummer in SR-71 leaving? Are you guys embarrassed that he now plays for a band like Stroke 9?
NO?NO?NO?YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG. HE WAS IN 9 DAYS, (?this is the story of a girl??) BUT HE WAS ONLY FILLING IN GIGS WHILE THEIR DRUMMER WAS IN REHAB???WITH A.J. FROM THE BACK STREET BOYS.
5. Rate the following singers on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being somebody who totally sucks and 10 being a vocal God!
Rob Halford = 9 (Awesome Vocal Range)
Jani Lane = 5
Bret Michaels = 10 (I wanna produce the next Poison CD)
Ralph Saenz = ???
Dave Grohl = 10 (nobody screams like Dave)
Deryck from Sum 41 = 1 (tone-deaf motherfucker!)
Mark McGrath = 6 (Great Frontman)
Paul Stanley = 10 (Kiss Rules!)
Vince Neil = 8 (when he remembers the words)
Stephen Pearcy = 5 (great wardrobe)
6. In your song "Paul McCartney", you say:
"We should take this slow
‘Cause I can’t let go
When it feels so good
To feel this low
We’ll take our time
Tell each other’s lies
In a world so much brighter
If Paul were still alive"
You guys do realize that Paul isn’t dead right? That was just a rumor.
NO WAY DUDE, PAUL?S AS DEAD AS TUFF?S CAREER??JOHN HOWEVER IS LIVING VERY COMFORTABLY IN ARGENTINA WITH ELVIS AND A VERY FROZEN WALT DISNEY.
7. How much was your biggest rock related check for and what did you do with it?
WELL, I DON?T REALLY WANT TO TALK TO MUCH ABOUT MONEY BUT LETS JUST SAY I?LL BE KNUCKLE DEEP IN HOOKERS AND BLOW FOR A VERY, VERY LONG TIME.
8. Dave from Sum 41 told us in his 20 Questions: "As we approached the bus we were intercepted by Bitch Allen who said: "Listen! I don’t know why you guys have a hard on for a fucking beat down.But SR-71 won’t even waste our time with you. How much have you sold this week?" We reply. "Three-Thousand."
He interjects "Really we sold ten times that three weeks in a row. In fact it looks like I’ll be too busy hanging a gold record on my wall to even think about you little shits, while your stuck on the bottom of my shoe. So go back to your little van, but take a good look at this bus because you’ll never see the inside of one in your lifetime."
Did it really go down that way, and if so, are you bummed that Sum 41 ended up selling way more records than SR-71 did and they did get to see the inside of a tour bus?
WOW??I WISH I WOULD HAVE SAID THAT!!! WHAT I ACUALLY SAID WAS ?WHO ARE YOU FAGS AND WOULD YOU PLEASE GET YOUR HAND OFF MY ASS!? (by the way?which one is Dave???)
9. Who’s the most overrated band today and why?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??SUM 41. THEY WRITE SONGS FOR 6 YEAR OLDS, AND THEY CAN?T FIGHT FOR SHIT. PLUS THEY?RE STILL BITCHING ABOUT AN ASS BEATING THEY GOT 2 YEARS AGO. WHAT?S THE CANADIAN WORD FOR PUSSIES?
10. Give us a touring memory about the following cities:
Boston = I FORGOT HER NAME
Chicago = THE PENINSULA HOTEL. THE BATHROOM HAS A TV IN THE TUB AND A LIGHTING SWITCH THAT HAS 3 POSITIONS: OFF, ON, AND MOOD
Atlanta = HOME OF ROCK GOD BUTCH WALKER
Philadelphia = CHEESE STEAK SUBS AT JIM?S STEAKS
Denver = NO OXYGEN?I CAN?T BREATHE
Las Vegas = LOST MY ASS AT THE HARD ROCK CASINO
San Francisco = A ?FREAKY? BAR CALLED ?MY PLACE?
St. Louis = A MOTHER AND DAUGHTER TAG TEAM
Charlotte = PLAYING WITH 80?s LEGENDS BERLIN
Dallas = GOING TO THE DALLAS GENTLEMENS CLUB WITH BON JOVI?ALL ON THEIR TAB!
11. The Air Force says the SR-71 Blackbird can reach can soar above 100,000 feet. What’s the highest you’ve ever been?
NOT MUCH?42,000 FEET. BUT I DID TAKE A RIDE IN AN F-15 LAST WEEK OUT OF LANGLEY AIR FORCE BASE AND THAT WAS AWESOME! WE DIDN?T GO HIGHER THAN 16,000 FEET BUT WE DID GO FAST?JUST UNDER MACH 1.
12. The last of Mitch:
Last CD you purchased = COLD PLAY ?A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD?
Last rock star you shook hands with = RICK NIELSON FROM CHEAP TRICK
Last movie you saw = GOODFELLAS?I WATCH IT ONCE A WEEK
Last video you remember seeing on MTV = SUM 41? WHATEVER THEIR NEW SONG IS. GREAT FUCKING VIDEO??BUT THEY?RE STILL ASSHOLES!
Last time you talked to Butch Walker = 10 minutes ago
Last concert you bought a ticket for = COLD PLAY IN LAS VEGAS
Last time you were carded when buying alcohol = LAST WEEK IN NORFOLK. THE BAR WAS VERY DARK
Last strip club you went to = THE DALLAS GENTLEMENS CLUB
Last rock star you met that was a dick = ALL OF SUM 41
Last porn you saw = AWESOME ASIANS #23
13. The single "Right Now" did really well at radio but it seemed like nothing followed it up. What exactly happened?
?RIGHT NOW? WENT TO #2 AND THE FOLLOW UP, ?POLITICALLY CORRECT? ONLY WENT TO #22. AFTER THAT WE DECIDED TO TOUR JAPAN WHERE ALL THE OTHER AMERICAN HAS-BEEN BANDS PLAY. BY THE WAY??WE?RE HUGE IN JAPAN.
14. What was it like opening for Bon Jovi? Did Jon or anybody in the band(not Hugh McDonald) hang out with you guys?
FUCK YEAH! WE GOT TO BE GREAT FRIENDS WITH EVERYBODY IN THAT BAND, INCLUDING HUGH. JON EVEN INVITED ME ONSTAGE IN MY HOMETOWN TO SING DEAD OR ALIVE WITH THE BAND. IT WAS MY 80?S ROCKSTAR MOMENT!!! HE?S THE COOLEST AND I HAVE THE UTMOST RESPECT FOR HIM AND WHAT HE HAS ACCOMPLISHED. WE STILL KEEP IN TOUCH.
15. Yes or no, has Mitch Allan ever:
Lied about your age = HASN?T EVERYBODY
Had a threesome in the back lounge of the bus = WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Been shot at by paintballs = NO
Visited an Asian massage parlor = NOT YET BUT IT?S ON THE LIST
Had a girlfriend cheat on you = YES
Got a blowjob from a girl who’s name you didn’t know = JUST LAST NIGHT
Regretted naming the band after letters and numbers = YES. WE EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT PULLING A MATCHBOX TWENTY AND SPELLING IT ALL OUT. WHAT DO YOU THINK: ?ESS ARE SEVENTY-ONE?
that will look great on a t-shirt!
Had eggs thrown at you = YEAH??SCRAMBLED W/CHEESE
Been arrested = HANCUFFED BUT NEVER BOOKED
Stole a riff from another band = JUST AC-DC, THEY ARE THE KINGS.
16. How many underage chicks do you think you’ve slept with on the road?
I HAVE A DON?T ASK / DON?T TELL POLICY
17. Why did you guys get all big-headed after "Right Now" and dump your first management company that got you the deal with RCA in the first place?
?CAUSE THEY REFUSED TO DROP TO ONE KNEE AND BOW THEIR HEADS WHEN I WALKED INTO A ROOM??IT?S ALL ABOUT RESPECT.
18. The last SR-71 CD sold around 363,000 units, and this new CD is only at 18,000, as of mid-November 2002. If this album doesn’t blow up do you realize that RCA might say bye-bye to you guys?
OH NO??I THINK RCA REALIZES THAT THE POPULARITY OF THE BAND ISN?T WANNING??OUR APPEAL IS JUST BECOMING MORE SELECTIVE.
19. Is it hard pretending to be in your 20s when you’re really in your 30s?
YEAH??I?M SICK OF ALL THE PLASTIC SURGERY, I?M STARTING TO LOOK LIKE JOAN RIVERS.
20. Time for Metal Sludge’s Word Association. We mention a name and you give us your thoughts.
Pamela Anderson = SCOTT BAIO
Beautiful Creatures = GREAT BAND NAME
Jani Lane = ROWANNE BREWER
Sebastian Bach = JON BON JOVI
Radiostar = OUR OLD NAME?NEEDS A NUMBER ie: RADIOSTAR 69
David Lee Roth = NICE JEWISH BOY
Hammerjacks = CHICKS W/ MINISKIRTS AND NO UNDERWEAR
The Strokes = THE FUTURE OF MODERN ROCK
Fred Durst = STOP HITTING ON MY GIRLFRIEND
The Osbournes = I WANNA BE JACK, BANG KELLY AND GET SHARON TO BE OUR MANAGER.
In other words, don’t look for Sum 41 and SR-71 to tour together anytime soon!
For more info on SR-71 and the latest tour dates, you can go to www.SR-71.net