20 QUESTIONS WITH…
This is the end of our Dokken trilogy. On 2/8/00 we talked to Jeff Pilson, then on 2/29/00 we talked to George Lynch, and we end it all with Don Dokken. In this interview,Don went into detail about his hair, why Dana Strum is an idiot, and being choked out by George Lynch. The answer to Question #6 is probably the longest answer we’ve ever gotten to a question. Sounds good to us, so check it out.
We have a live CD, DVD coming out early March and our touring Europe late May. Then the U.S. with Poison beginning June 15th. Should be a busy year.
2. Let’s get this out of the way…What was the general problem between you and George? Why all the tension?
He always resented the fact that IM cuter than him.
3. What hard rock/heavy metal band should give it up and call it a day?
The ones that always were and still are making crappie records.
4. Do you think Ratt and Van Halen should continue on with new singers?
I would miss Van Halen I really like those boys.
5. Speaking of singers, rate the following singers on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being somebody who totally sucks, and 10 being great.
Bret Michael’s - 7
Stephen Pearcy - 2
Vince Neil - 3
James Hetfield - 10
Sebastian Bach - 7
Jizzy Pearl - Never heard him sing.
Donnie Vie - Never heard him sing.
Jani Lane - 7
Jeff Pilson - 9
David Lee Roth - 6
6. How long have you been wearing a hair system, extensions, wig?
7. Did you ever have sex with Jeff Pilson?s wife? It seems like everybody else did, so is there anything you?d like to come clean about?
No, I never had sex with Jeff’s wife and never would have. I’ve known Jeff half of my life. Jeff is One of my best friends. Lisa was very beautiful but that is one line I would never cross no matter What and that’s the end of that.
8. For $3,000,000: You must be the target in a knife-throwing act in a circus, only the man who will throw five razor-sharp knives at your head from ten paces away is George Lynch, and he?s only practiced on stuffed dummies (but with great success!)
I don’t need 3 million dollars Qualcomm took care of that.
9. What musicians would make up Don Dokken?s dream band?
Jeff Pilson, Mick Brown and Eddie Van Halen
10. The biggest misconception about _______________is.
Kiss is that they care about their fans.
David Lee Roth is that he’s sane
Dokken is that we fought ALL of the time
Hollywood, California is that it’s a glamorous place
Cocaine is that it won’t kill you.
11. Name the most outrageous thing you’ve ever asked for and received on your contract rider for a gig?
12. Please give us your opinion of former Metal Edge editor Gerri Miller and your reason behind it?
I think Gerri is a champion of the 80s rock scene. She is one of the few people that did not jump ship in the 90s on to the Grunge scene. She kept trying to give the rock bands of the 80s exposure all the way until her departure from Metal Edge. She deserves a lot of respect. She can be a pain in the butt Sometimes but rock bands are a pain in the butt all the time. I truly adore her. I’ve been trying to Get her in bed forever but she won’t go for it. I haven’t given up yet.
13. Where?s the strangest place you?ve ever pleasured yourself?
You probably won’t believe this but I don’t do that. I’ve never needed to. I thought that’s what woman are for.
14. What group gave Dokken the hardest time while opening for them on tour back in the day?
15. Which do you prefer?
Metallica or Pantera = Metallica
Motley Crue or Guns N Roses = Guns and Roses
Warrant or Winger = Warrant
BackStreet Boys or N’ Sync = Nsync
Limp Bizkit or Kid Rock = Kid Rock
Wigs or Extensions = Never tried a wig so it must be extensions
Mr. Scary or Mr. Crowley = Mr. Crowley
Hair Spray or Hair Gel = Neither
|16. Do you think Pamela Anderson has great acting talent or is she just all tits and ass?
I don’t think that Pamela has great acting talent yet but she seems very bright And driven. IM sure if she keeps at it, she will develop her acting skills further. Let’s say this She’s a hellava better actress than I am an actor.
As far as the tits and ass it’s obvious that she is very beautiful but she’s no Heather Locklear.
17. What Dokken song can go into a vault called Songs That Fucking Suck?
So Many Tears & Don’t Lye To Me
18. What rock star deserves a smack in the mouth and why?
19. How many times did you and George get into physical fights, and who would usually win those battles?
|Only twice. Once the first year we were together he threatened to kill me in front of the record company president in Germany and tried to blackmail the President into flying his girlfriend to Germany or he would not do a TV show for 3 million viewers. We almost lost our record deal right then. We went outside and I smacked him. Juan Croucier had to pull me off of him. George had only been in the band six months. Shades of things to come. The second time was on the ACDC tour we were on our way to Wembley arena in a Limo I told George I was going to leave the band at the end of the tour then sat back and closed my eyes. He then sucker punched me and we went at it. Jeff, Mick and the road manager pulled us apart and said finish it at the gig. We got to the gig and went out to the parking lot and just before we started someone came out and said you gotta be on stage in five minutes and that was it. When I went on stage there was a line on George’s side of the stage and he said if you cross it during the show I’ll smash my guitar over your head. That’s the way it went in front of 18,000 people the rest of the night. The last time I ever saw George was the morning after the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach. I came on the bus late and he was in a hurry to get to the gym. I went to the fridge to get some orange juice he came up behind me and started choking me. If you’ve seen George’s muscles lately you know I didn’t have a chance. Lucky for me George’s son Sean pulled him off of me. That was in 98.
20. Time for Metal Sludge’s Word Association. We mention a name, and you give us your thoughts.
George Lynch - Confused, angry.
Tommy Lee - Skinny, tattooed, marries beautiful women, great drummer, and funny, beat me in the celebrity car race.
Bret Michael’s - Nice guy, great performer, good singer, kind person, never has a bad thing to say about anybody.
Kevin Dubrow - Obnoxious, insecure, but I think he has mellowed out over the years, good voice.
Courtney Love - Looser
Vince Neil - He ought to quit drinking
Eddie Van Halen - A true genius at his craft, one of the nicest none egotistical people I have ever met.
Jani Lane - I don’t know him that well but I had a lot of fun with him on the Alice Cooper tour He’s written some cool songs. I love Uncle Toms Cabin.
John Kalodner - John is one of my best friends and has been for many years. He’s eccentric, a music guru has made more people famous than anybody in the business, has saved more musicians careers From oblivion than anyone I know. He’s very misunderstood and somewhat of a pervert like myself. Would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. He will go down in music history as a true legend as a discoverer of many types of musical artist and will also be remembered as always having killer looking women on his arm. John Kolodner is my friend and if anybody ever has a bad thing to say about him I will personally kick their ass.
Dana Strum - A true jerk. Man does this guy think his shit doesn’t stink. If this guy spent as much time Practicing his bass as he does telling everyone how smart he is he would be as good as Jaco, God rest his soul. Everytime IM around this guy he pulls the rock star trip on me. The only thing this guys got that I don’t is better hair.
That Summer tour with Poison, Cinderella, Dokken and Slaughter should be interesting, considering Don just called Dana a true jerk, and we all know the history between Cinderella and Slaughter. Should make for a Sludge filled Summer!
For more info on Dokken and their happenings, you can go to www.dokken.net.