20 QUESTIONS WITH…
The Marvelous 3’s Butch Walker
This week’s 20 Questions is with Butch Walker. You old school metal freaks will remember Butch as the guitarist for Southgang. Well he’s still playing guitar but he’s also singing now for The Marvelous 3, who have a deal on Electra Records and even had a little MTV success last year. We asked Butch about that, his Southgang past, and other typical bullshit we ask everybody. Enjoy!
|1. What are you currently up to? This is your only chance to plug your shit, so speak now or forever hold your peace.
BUTCH: we are in the studio cutting a follow up to our first record. it’s a badass work of art, so art takes time…. it’ll come out in spring.
2. What happened with the original Southgang band? How did it all come to an end and do you still talk to Jesse Harte?
3. You guys had some good success with "Freak Of The Week" but when the next single was released it did nothing? It seemed like you guys where on a roll for a while, even appearing on The Tonight Show and getting some MTV play, and then everything became quiet. What happened?
hey… who the fuck is complaining?!?!?!?! a year before that, i had a $100 station wagon with no money to even change a tire, and i was still doing 250 shows a year! i think that life is pretty fucking good if you ask me. you gotta know, the music biz is a shitty place sometimes. people’s attention span is about as short as my… well you know… and back in the day, we didnt have fucking wwf and wcw or playstations and shit like that for entertainment. everybody went to concerts and listened to the radio. hell, even mtv used to show videos. it was better for a longer career for your art, because people didnt walk into Bands-R-Us and have this massive
wall of sounds to digest. should i get the prodigy keith flint doll with the kung-fu grip? nahh… it wont be cool in about a month……
4. What current hard rock/heavy metal band should give it up and call it a day?
||5. The following are some near miss 80s groups kinda like Southgang was. Rate these bands on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being they sucked and 10 being they were great, and why they fell short.
sorry… i drank alot when i was that age.. i dont remember a thing…
6. Why the hell did you guys have Jesse Harte as a singer for all those years, when obviously you can sing better than him and you write all the songs anyway?
thanks for the uhhh,,, compliment,,, i didnt have any desire to do the singer thing back in the day, but as time went on, i guess i thought i should try myself.. i think it was the ham in me, needing to come out of the oven..
|7. After Southgang you guys changed your name to Floyd’s Funk Revival. Who the hell was Floyd?
floyd… floyd county that is…. born there.
8. Jayce’s wife Chrystina Lloree sang with Floyd’s Funk Revival for a while. Did you ever accidentally see her naked or anything like that?
9. Which would you pick?
A. You lose a $10,000 bet on the Superbowl;
b. You win the bet, but Mitch gets abducted and brutally sodomized by devil worshippers.
actually slug is satan, and he says that you’re all going to hell.
10. Rate the following chicks on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being a bucket of pig urine and 10 being a hottie.
Natalie From Facts Of Life – 6, cute
11. What’s up with the album cover for Hey Album? It’s just a red bed. What’s the deal with that, is there something we are missing?
just a little remembrance of where it all started. a one night stand in a seedy hotel room, spawned the marv 3.
12. Who has been the biggest jerk-off band you have encountered?
third eye brown…er… blind
13. How do the other guys, Mitch and Jayce, feel about having next to no input in the songwriting? And did you snag all the publishing advance or did you split it with the guys?
no comment (that means i took it all, right?). no really, they trust me and i have a strict vision. it sometimes works, and it sometimes doesnt, but they support me. i rely on their input more than you know.
14. Southgang played some shows back in the day with Warrant. Why do you think they took such a big fall after having multi-platinum albums back to back?
15. Do you think M3 has a snowballs chance in hell of ever having a Gold record or better?
i think so, but that is not my goal in life. i would rather set up a lemonade stand and give advice on the music biz….. kidding obviously.
|16. What rock star deserves a smack in the mouth and why?
mr jenkins…. i will tell you after i do it.
17. Are there any plans to re-release the first Marvelous 3 album, Math and Other Problems?
18. Are you happy with the way Elektra Records has handled your album so far?
i hate most aspects about labels, but i use a major the same way that they use me… to get somewhere, with their help. i am sure that i wont be on a major label for too terribly long.
19. Word on the street is that you use Propecia. Is that true and how is your hair doing?
wow! what a funny thing to hear! am i going bald? would you tell me if i was?? i mean, i’m not insecure at all or anything… am i? no? am i? what a weird rumor to come up with.. i have heard some good ones this year, but far more threatening than this. come on… you can do better than that…
|20. Time for Word Association. We ask a name and you give us your thoughts.
Jesse Harte - love, history, lots of fun
For more info on The Marvies you can go to www.themarvelous3.com. And in a few weeks we will have former Southgang singer Jesse Harte, so we’ll be able to find out how Jesse feels about his bandmates new found success and shit like that.